Who said an arm bar is bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

This isn’t the same as Cabrera either. Although it is interesting that all hitters have a launch position.

Is he pulling the knob to the ball early on?

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Any pitch you hook, or any swing on a slider for example, from a right-handed pitcher/rh batter, or typically a swing on off-speed, will result in an arm bar. Teach your daughters an exaggerated closed stance, or a fundamental arm bar, and I will be throwing her change-ups low and away and rise balls up and in and then we will do some math.

Jul 29, 2013
They hit the ball fine with a flat path, just no sign of tilt or the swing following the tilt of the posture. There was no tilt, just upright posture. That’s the thing I mentioned their swing path and he said a few of them hit 100 exit speed growing up. That’s a horrible way to look at feedback. There are many ways to look at and achieve the feedback. Just because you have 100 mph exit speed doesn’t mean you have an efficient swing.
I dunno, sounds like something's going right.

Jul 29, 2013
Any pitch you hook, or any swing on a slider for example, from a right-handed pitcher/rh batter, or typically a swing on off-speed, will result in an arm bar. Teach your daughters an exaggerated closed stance, or a fundamental arm bar, and I will be throwing her change-ups low and away and rise balls up and in and then we will do some math.
And then you might run into a 100mph EV arm bar swing like this one.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
If you believe that the "arm-bar" is a fundamental element to be taught, rather than a reaction to specific pitches or locations, then you are setting up your girls for frustration. I know. I had two arm-bar swingers on the Women's National team, and every one of them struck out every at bat they got, which were only a few. World-class pitchers know what to do. As I have reiterated before, a single sample is not evidence, or considered in any science a sample pool. A minimum of 30 examples to have empirical results. It is also why I tell coaches not to coach on every pitch, nor every swing! Observe before you start to criticize, or you might have a minimum of 30 complaints in 30 swings.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Is he pulling the knob to the ball early on?

I think he is a little, but in a good way. He is just staying in bat lag longer. Too many arm bar hitters exhibit one of two things. Either their wrists start to snap prematurely, or they reach full, or near full extension prematurely. typically with the arms extended toward right-center field when pulling the ball. This is because the barred arm over-extends the right forearm rather than maintaining the "power-box" as in the first 3 photos of the girls. The 4th photo shows Peter Alonzo and perfect form launching the hardest hit ball I ever saw and his power-box. In the last 2 photos the batters are able to get their hands inside because they DO NOT have arm bar, there is enough flex maintained to get the hands in, out front, and maintaining that perpendicular relationship to the bat and driving through contact.

In the video his arm is not barred. It is bent enough to even allow more flex on an inside pitch to get the ball on the sweet-spot and keep it fair.

Attachments

• BVIPLMIQRSAVOQC.20150227075503.jpg
    BVIPLMIQRSAVOQC.20150227075503.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 58d80de5e3d1a.image.jpg
    58d80de5e3d1a.image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5 Building House.jpg
    5 Building House.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 11
  • bjaxspring2.jpg
    bjaxspring2.jpg