Who said an arm bar is bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Which is why I said from the beginning "Arm Bar" is a no teach. Hitter going to do what's necessary to barrel up the ball. I've seen some ridiculous bent elbow swings to get to an inside pitch as well.. not an idea swing, but necessary and efficient in that situation. Arm bar is bad when the lead arm gets pinned to the hitters body because the hands are left behind and the hitters trunk has already started to rotate.. that needs to be corrected. Arm bar can be just has efficient as any bent elbow swing depending on pitch location.. and who's swinging the bat. I see many more LH handed hitters(right hand dominated) bar their lead arm.

Now it sounds like you are preaching to the choir. As I have said over and over, it is a reaction to specific pitches, and their dynamics, as in reaching to "barrel" the ball, or getting fooled. But to teach a barred-arm as basic, fundamental is foolish, because you are teaching a longer swing of totally rotational nature. I don't believe in a pure rotational swing. I don't believe in a pure 100% linear swing! I believe in about 50/50. Athletes do what they need to do in a quest for success.

I agree about the lead arm. But my indicator of a good swing is, were they able to achieve full extension? And was that full extension where they hit the ball. I din't mean a sweeping arm-bar full extension, but a linear, directed full extension. If not, the swing was compromised, and maybe necessarily so. Below Rica has a purely rotational and compromised swing (did have!). Aaron Judge is even more compromised. I also had a Mike Trout swing up and in, the same. Were they even strikes?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191026_080830.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026_080830.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20191026_080817.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026_080817.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 15900-9ad6ea461be2d602ab8c333a0abaa87b.jpg
    15900-9ad6ea461be2d602ab8c333a0abaa87b.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Whats a good self adjusting goal oriented que for this, "Stay Tall"?

I teach high tee. Highest strike. Maybe 2-3 inches above the navel. kinda just ingrain it that way. Also put it high-inside, ask for pulled balls in the air. Makes them maintain space and keep them tall. When doing this drill.. Rollovers are a space issue mostly not a sequence issue. Meaning turning the wrong ‘muscles’ on.

Once the spine angle gets below the pitch plane too much, it’s almost impossible to adjust back up.

Oct 2, 2017
I teach high tee. Highest strike. Maybe 2-3 inches above the navel. kinda just ingrain it that way. Also put it high-inside, ask for pulled balls in the air. Makes them maintain space and keep them tall. When doing this drill.. Rollovers are a space issue mostly not a sequence issue. Meaning turning the wrong ‘muscles’ on.

Once the spine angle gets below the pitch plane too much, it’s almost impossible to adjust back up.

Thanks, Spot on about the spine angle. I can tell this will be a area of focus for DD. With that said, My goal for myself since I've had a lot of downtime to think it over and my approach with her, is to keep it extremely simple. 1 to 2 goal oriented areas of focus only and let her work it out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Thanks, Spot on about the spine angle. I can tell this will be a area of focus for DD. With that said, My goal for myself since I've had a lot of downtime to think it over and my approach with her, is to keep it extremely simple. 1 to 2 goal oriented areas of focus only and let her work it out.
Yeah one drill or feeling or concept a session works best. I keep it at about 60 to 70 quality swings tops. Also give her situations (5th inning, game tied 5 to 5, runner on 3rd, 1 out, 3 and 1 count) and have her go thru her routine from stepping out, getting sign from 3rd base coach, practice swing, deep breath, stepping back in. Oh and no arm bar here. lol

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah one drill or feeling or concept a session works best. I keep it at about 60 to 70 quality swings tops. Also give her situations (5th inning, game tied 5 to 5, runner on 3rd, 1 out, 3 and 1 count) and have her go thru her routine from stepping out, getting sign from 3rd base coach, practice swing, deep breath, stepping back in. Oh and no arm bar here. lol

I learned a lot from last season in what my approach should be for DD. So its time to stick to it on my end. So, I will have 1 -2 areas of focus, and that will be it until it states to take hold.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

If spine angle is the focus right now. Use a high, middle, low tee. Use a shorter bat or choke up. Vary the height every 3-5 swings. Let her figure it out. No need to talk. Simple.

edit: vary your toss as a progression.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23