Who is the most responsible for player growth/performance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Kinda surprised at your youngest age response....
Simply because can see in your other bountiful wonderful posts how paying attention by the parent to not let kid get effected by junk ....might have played a greater role in your choice on this.

Thought you may have replied parent first because you wouldnt want to just let anyone be the greater influence than you the parent of a young child.

Younger the child can be greater influenced by another parent???
Thanks lol
I think that between 8-10 parents have to be super involved in setting expectations around away from team practice times, they have to ensure that DD has a practice partner if not it must be them... also between 8-10 kids tend to switch sports often. Parents needs to help guide them in the right direction which of course is softball lol.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Didn't grow up in a neighborhood, but was lucky to grow up when you could jump on a 3-wheeler (death trap) and round up 3-4 guys to play. We went through so many wiffle balls and nerf footballs it wasn't even funny. Had to hunt the baseballs because they were harder to come by. The first row of bushes or the ditch of the dirt road would be our home run fence. Great times!
Geeez those 3-wheelers.....

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
All depends on the age of the player...

At the earliest ages, the parents are by far the most important people in a child's life. They develop the core values (or not) and help guide the child through their developmental stages. The player will not learn discipline, work ethic, or any of the other attributes that are needed for high level competition without the support and guidance of their parents. Even if the parents don't understand the specific skills, they still build the foundation that the player will grow upon.

As they grow, the player needs to become more and more responsible for their own development. The parent can drive them to practice or support them at games, but if the player is not invested in the process, true development will not occur, or will be severely limited.

The coach is important, but a distant third in this process. They provide valuable knowledge and can help nurture a players enjoyment of the sport, but if the player doesn't have the work ethic and desire to begin with, it doesn't matter if you have the best coach in the world. The parents also have some responsibility here, ensuring that the player is dealing with quality coaches. Help where you can, know your limitations, and find additional help when needed.

Yes, I am a coach. And, yes, I realize I am devaluing my own involvement in the development piece. I am just a strong believer in that it all starts at home. It doesn't matter if it is athletics, academics, or anything else. It all starts at home...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, I am a coach. And, yes, I realize I am devaluing my own involvement in the development piece. I am just a strong believer in that it all starts at home. It doesn't matter if it is athletics, academics, or anything else. It all starts at home...
👍 Hey Coach FP26 Great read

Just like to say dont think you devalue your importance/role as a Coach in recognizing the importance
of Player/Parent applying structure.

Thats possibly the best sound advice a coach can offer!

Jun 16, 2010
Player should be...
For pitchers it is...they throw every day...with dad catching

Few other really work much outside of practice. When practice 3 days per week, and play 2......dont leave much time.

While its their responsibility....it comes down to parents pushing..... And making most of time with coaches. Good travel coaches have to repair damage caused by hs ball often

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28