Who is in whos camp?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Look pretty similar to me other than individual style....
Both stills are before the hands start to move forward.. Can you please explain the greater flexion is Bonds rear leg. I would imagine this is indicative of more weight, more pressure on the rear leg. Meaning it goes beyond style if that's the case

May 12, 2016
They are both leveraged before launching the swing. One gets more forward then the other but neither compromise the rear leg/hip relationship and utilizes the core to whip the bat.
I won't argue with that.. but Bonds FYB is different than JD's, it's not just style. IMO, JD looks in a much better position to me to get to any pitch and truly leverage the legs

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Both stills are before the hands start to move forward.. Can you please explain the greater flexion is Bonds rear leg. I would imagine this is indicative of more weight, more pressure on the rear leg. Meaning it goes beyond style if that's the case

The explanation that TDS provided is fair, in my opinion. Whether you choose to focus on the core or the torso is irrelevant to me. Both are important.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I won't argue with that.. but Bonds FYB is different than JD's, it's not just style. IMO, JD looks in a much better position to me to get to any pitch and truly leverage the legs

Yea, I think JD is more forward and stacked.. Bonds not as forward but seems to create the same core stretch against the opening up and lowering his COG.

RCbOuqd.gif

SZliEkL.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yea, I think JD is more forward and stacked.. Bonds not as forward but seems to create the same core stretch against the opening up and lowering his COG.

RCbOuqd.gif

SZliEkL.gif

Bonds tends to get lower than Martinez. I don't think either option is bad, it's just different. That's why I refer to it as style. I know some people get offended by the word "style", but it is not meant as an insult. Either swing would be great to emulate. As I stated earlier, the things I look for in a swing are present in both of these players.

Jun 29, 2012
rotation. i guess i am in my own camp. back shoulder up. head on the ball. weight back. ROTATE thru the zone.

May 12, 2016
Bonds tends to get lower than Martinez. I don't think either option is bad, it's just different. That's why I refer to it as style. I know some people get offended by the word "style", but it is not meant as an insult. Either swing would be great to emulate. As I stated earlier, the things I look for in a swing are present in both of these players.
No worries it did not insult me :). I do think there is something to be said for the early bending of the knee in Bonds swing. IMO, this creates a earlier uphill path in the swing. Basically Bonds starts uphill earlier in his swing. I don't think that's a trivial thing.. and something that needs to be considered when looking at which swing to emulate

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
No worries it did not insult me :). I do think there is something to be said for the early bending of the knee in Bonds swing. IMO, this creates a earlier uphill path in the swing. Basically Bonds starts uphill earlier in his swing. I don't think that's a trivial thing.. and something that needs to be considered when looking at which swing to emulate

There are things Bonds does with his posture that lead to a steeper attack angle. I just don't consider the differences to be absolutes. That's why I refer to it as style.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478