Whistling fastball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just curious if anyone knows how fast a ball has be to traveling for it to "whistle". Is the whistle created by speed or is spin a component? I keep telling my DD she needs to keep working until she can make the ball "whistle", but I really have no idea how fast that really is...

Apr 25, 2010
My DD doesn't pitch terribly fast, but you can hear the ball "buzz" when she throws it. I'm guessing it's spin, because hers it what makes her effective.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Well, I've heard one of Bill's sing "Sweet Dixie" to me once. I'm still trying figure that one out! ;)

Whistle is cool...it's the seams spinning against air pressure resistance.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it needs to be the spin.

Except for pitchers on here they are not breaking the sound barrier.

(I guess the ball goes by them then they hear it. ☺.
Ump, I didn't see it either but sounded like a strike to me.)

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I'll throw out a guess, around 58mph. Spin may have something to do with it, maybe. One of our pitchers throws around this speed, I can definitely hear the ball whistle when I warm her up. Made me think of bugs bunny???
https://youtu.be/hV6PwJ4ZhZg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is seams against the air so it is a mixture of velocity and spin. When my DD got to 60mph and was spinning in the mid 20's you could really hear it. I would expect that relative humidity (thicker air) would also play a part.

Aug 8, 2010
I have heard balls hiss or sizzle. At least that is how I describe the sound. Our catcher throws 63 overhand and it makes the sound. Played with a guy in tournament slowpitch back in college that his ball would hiss at you when you caught it. Didnt have a gun but he was spooky to play catch with and when he uncorked one from SS. Ball would seem to hop up a bit coming across the infield at you.

Jun 10, 2016
We have a 10u rec pitcher that can easily sizzle them in all day long. Worked with a TB PC a couple years before her mom started working 7 days a week. Interesting thread, I've never wondered how fast she was actually throwing. She gets "whoa's" from 12u girls heading to the next field over, while shes warming up.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
combination of spin and velocity.

greater MPH requires lesser RPS,
and greater RPS requires lesser MPH

I think 55MPH and 20+ RPS will get you there
or 58/18, etc

Using a ball with "high seams" will also help, of course

DD is about a 53/20 and she'll get a "hiss" but not quite a "whistle"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online