whiphit, rope bat drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I see some of you here are pretty big fans of the whip hit. I Made a couple of rope bat training aids the other day. basiclly I cut off a couple old aluminum bats about ., 12 or 14 inches long & drilled the end of the handle & ran a 1/2 in rope through the handle & drilled a rubber ball & threaded the rope through it. So, i now have a rope bat with a aluminum handle & a rubber ball weight on the other end which simulates a 33 inch bat.

I tried it on a tee & I can see where it will prevent you from casting your hands or you will make contact with the rope insted of the weight. What other uses do you all suggest for this thing?? Thanks

May 12, 2008
Teaching them how to swing the bat in plane keeping the tension on the ball at the end of the rope such that it swings smoothly in one arc.

Oct 14, 2008
It has the same properties as a bat, use it for soft toss, working inside outside up the middle, use it on tee stackers, use it in the batting cage, advanced use it to hit golf sized whiffle balls being soft tossed. use it to warm up before a game , hitting the ball with a bat will be so much easier, hope this helps

Tim

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Make sure the ball is at the sweet spot of the bat. 32 inch bat ball is at 28 ". Plus as Tim stated. Many drills. If you roll your wrists early, it will punish you! Make sure at the beginning they have a helmet! I use 3/8 inch rope. I made a bunch this weekend. Cut bat at 14 ".
Bottom line if you don't have a good first move you cannot hit a ball off the T.

Jan 24, 2009
I've gotta hand it to the company if people are handing over ninety nine bucks plus shipping for a glorified rope which you guys have found are fairly simple to make for basically free from materials around the house.

Sounds like it could be a good aid...kudos to you for making your own. I'll probably have one by this evening. ;)
VW

Aug 2, 2008
Bottom line, is this a good drill or bad? Do you take a regular swing? Does swinging a rope correct your flawed swing? I would like to try it but I would like some more education first.

Thanks,
Mike

May 12, 2008
You are right about the education. Any constraint, hitting tool or drill can be perverted. The whip hit, a rope bat or a medicus bat can be useful but, as you say, you need to know what your goal is.

Aug 2, 2008
O.K. then what is the end goal that should be achieved, and what is the best way to explain it? I just was messing around taking some swings with a rope and I can see the benefits, but how do I explain it to a 10-yo?

Thanks,
Mike

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
My goal is to get my girls short to the ball without casting hands, or rolling over their wrists, so they are palm up palm down at contact.

What I have been doing is to get the girls exactly in the position I would like them to be in at contact, & then adjust the tee so they should hit square if they duplicate the motion to get perfect contact posture again.

soft toss will be next.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
I see some of you here are pretty big fans of the whip hit. I Made a couple of rope bat training aids the other day. basiclly I cut off a couple old aluminum bats about ., 12 or 14 inches long & drilled the end of the handle & ran a 1/2 in rope through the handle & drilled a rubber ball & threaded the rope through it. So, i now have a rope bat with a aluminum handle & a rubber ball weight on the other end which simulates a 33 inch bat.

I tried it on a tee & I can see where it will prevent you from casting your hands or you will make contact with the rope insted of the weight. What other uses do you all suggest for this thing?? Thanks

hi! great post! can you please give specifics so maybe my dad can make this? like what type and size of rubber ball? can you use a thicker rope? how do you prevent the rope from slipping through the handle? by knotting it? what size hole do you drill?

thanks so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802