whiphit, rope bat drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mark H you are correct. We are finding out kids gain power using this device. When they go from hitting off the T to soft toss, then you know they have it mastered.

May 12, 2008
Some kids can get it just by watching, listening and experimenting. Many need constraints like this that mandate changes in their mechanics. I find Englishbey emphasizing this more and more in terms of teaching methodology.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Whip Hit.

Mark,

Good observation on Englishbey. I would agree. I tend to lean that way myself with some students dependent on the swing flaw I am trying to address, as you know. What is really at the end of the rope "So to speak" is getting the player to understand that they have to develop control of the swing for a consistent swing plane. That is really what the whip hit accomplishes in my opinion. If you are not consistent with your delivery of the ball to the ball you have swing plane issues. Instant feedback.

Dana

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
is the whiphit bat compatible with those who use tom emanski's major league swing (i.e., combinational approach of rotational into linear) for hitting?

my hitting coach tells me my swing plane does not need to be parallel to my shoulder axis. he wants my posture with my shoulders more or less level, and tells me to reach with my arms up or down to go after the ball using the necessary angle to attack it. he emphasizes barrel above the hands and hands above the ball. obviously, depending on the height of the pitch, at contact the barrel may be below the hands tho.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Emanski's "radial deviation" cue can be a good one for learning how hands work on handle.

The shoulder action staying in there/not flying open is better thought of (for MLB pattrn) in Epstein terms of shoulder TILT with the back shoulder dropping by tilting action NOT just appearing to drop from rotation of the torso.

The arm adjustment action is also better thought of in Epstein's terms of the FRONT arm lifting more or less p off chest to create a "weathervaning" feel.

You do not want to encourage disconnecting action of the arms. The shoulder tilt and arm action (elbows retaining spacing as Epstein describes it) and forearm twist/swivel and hand action on handle/grip all need to promote staying connected to the unloading/uncoiling torso to keep the bathead accelerating to max speed at contact.

May 12, 2008
is the whiphit bat compatible with those who use tom emanski's major league swing (i.e., combinational approach of rotational into linear) for hitting?

my hitting coach tells me my swing plane does not need to be parallel to my shoulder axis. he wants my posture with my shoulders more or less level, and tells me to reach with my arms up or down to go after the ball using the necessary angle to attack it. he emphasizes barrel above the hands and hands above the ball. obviously, depending on the height of the pitch, at contact the barrel may be below the hands tho.

Your coach is wrong. Compare to swings of elite hitters. The whiphit, the medicus bat or a rope bat is compatible with good swings.

May 12, 2008
The shoulder action staying in there/not flying open is better thought of (for MLB pattrn) in Epstein terms of shoulder TILT with the back shoulder dropping by tilting action NOT just appearing to drop from rotation of the torso.

Sometimes elite hitters start upright and drop into a good tilt and sometimes they tilt and rotate.

The arm adjustment action is also better thought of in Epstein's terms of the FRONT arm lifting more or less p off chest to create a "weathervaning" feel.

Every swing, every time, get the front arm in the swing plane.

You do not want to encourage disconnecting action of the arms. The shoulder tilt and arm action (elbows retaining spacing as Epstein describes it) and forearm twist/swivel and hand action on handle/grip all need to promote staying connected to the unloading/uncoiling torso to keep the bathead accelerating to max speed at contact.

Epstein in the same sentence with "forearm twist/swivel and hand action" is an interesting juxtaposition. I must have missed that in Mike video.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom