Whip improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Trying to get more out of the whip.
Any feedback? Is the glove side inducting enough?
Any concern about the angle of her upper body at release?
Front side needs work but just looking at whip.
Thanks!

https://youtu.be/1T8e_vKiPb4

Apr 28, 2014
Dude...….Seriously? Or are you just showing off her "pretty damn good" stuff.

Thanks BM!
Think she's leaving some on the table with the the lean and her timing. She's a skinny thing.. so gotta squeeze every ounce out of her upper body.

Jul 9, 2016
Trying to get more out of the whip.
Any feedback? Is the glove side inducting enough?
Any concern about the angle of her upper body at release?
Front side needs work but just looking at whip.
Thanks!

https://youtu.be/1T8e_vKiPb4

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1figZHxeCfQpUiPxJ3" width="269" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/1figZHxeCfQpUiPxJ3">via GIPHY</a></p>
''''''''''

To get a better view of the whip, may need another video from the arm side view. And might as well do a Front View zoomed in.

What speed is she cruising with now?

Keep posting videos and the gurus here will get her up to low 70's shortly.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
What speed is she cruising with now?

Keep posting videos and the gurus here will get her up to low 70's shortly.

Low 70s in her dreams :)
She pitches 58-60 in games. Gets a MPH or two more in practice. Need 62 consistently, not there yet. Been hitting the gym (her not me) consistently for the last 18 months. I've learned that girls are hard gainers. Work continues.
Thanks for posting the video!!

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Low 70s in her dreams :)
She pitches 58-60 in games. Gets a MPH or two more in practice. Need 62 consistently, not there yet. Been hitting the gym (her not me) consistently for the last 18 months. I've learned that girls are hard gainers. Work continues.
Thanks for posting the video!!

OK...I'll take a shot at it. Two thoughts...well 3 really. One being...she looks terrific. that doesn't get you any further along though. I think the lean is interesting...not sure where that would come from, or what impact it might have really. But my suspicion is that comes from wanting to kind of get on top of the ball and really use your muscles. My DD struggles with wanting to muscle everything...she can't relax and let it fly. If you want to generate more whip (OP)...I'm wondering if she could relax her hand/arm more at release and really just let it go. You watch those videos of some of the japanese guys and man...they are loose! The 2nd thought...there is a fair amount of left over energy after release (now this is just one isolated pitch indoors)...so maybe this doesn't happen all the time but there is some unspent energy that has her stepping forward/through after release. To me, that is potential energy (speed) that didn't transfer into the ball. Maybe working on posture and firmer resistance on the front side to transfer that energy better.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I think she looks fantastic. I love her whip. Just for giggles I would let her try driving straight out as she currently does and have the stride foot cross over a little to the right just before plant. Maybe 5 inches. Still have hips/shoulders land at current landing angle. I'm betting her hips will slide a little quicker at plant and you might gain a mph or two out of the whip. Her body knows and has the moves down pat so everything now becomes a question of efficiency. Video it and compare the two. I wouldn't worry about the timing. She will either feel quicker, smoother and her body will speed up and adjust or she won't. Best wishes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802