Which radar system for softball pitching in the back yard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2019
I use the tried and true Shinpads Radar and Pain Management System. When it came time for me to buy a set, I knew she was getting up there is speed. :pšŸ˜

Good one! I like the interactive quality. At that point, Iā€˜m looking for a free cup included with the system.

Jul 14, 2018
The RevFire measures spin rate in addition to speed, but it relies on travel time to calculate speed -- i.e. how long it takes from release to stop over 43 feet. I've measured it against the Pocket Radar Ball Coach and the speed is pretty consistent. The RevFire spin rate is good too, it compared well with the Diamond Kinetics but requires no subscription and syncs easily with a cell phone.

Sep 10, 2019
The RevFire measures spin rate in addition to speed, but it relies on travel time to calculate speed -- i.e. how long it takes from release to stop over 43 feet. I've measured it against the Pocket Radar Ball Coach and the speed is pretty consistent. The RevFire spin rate is good too, it compared well with the Diamond Kinetics but requires no subscription and syncs easily with a cell phone.

I think the DK bundle kit gets me off the fence. The Revfire softball(s) are ā€sold outā€ per their website, and no dice on amazon, too.

May 16, 2016
Is anyone able to use their GoPro to measure pitching velocities, and if so, how?

If you know the Frames Per Second of your recording, then using video editing software, you can count the frames from release to the plate. So, recording at 60 fps, and the ball reaches plate in 30 frames, you have 1/2 second elapsed time. So assuming 43 feet distance... or actual release point would be less than 43 feet, so call it 40 feet, you are 80 feet/second.

Then with some math you can convert feet per second to MPH. (or using google, you will find a FPS to MPH converter).

80 feet per second = 54.5 MPH.

Sep 10, 2019
If you know the Frames Per Second of your recording, then using video editing software, you can count the frames from release to the plate. So, recording at 60 fps, and the ball reaches plate in 30 frames, you have 1/2 second elapsed time. So assuming 43 feet distance... or actual release point would be less than 43 feet, so call it 40 feet, you are 80 feet/second.

Then with some math you can convert feet per second to MPH. (or using google, you will find a FPS to MPH converter).

80 feet per second = 54.5 MPH.

Thanks, I thought was a popular app (name???) or some feature to use.

Jan 28, 2017
What does spin rate on a Diamond Kinetic ball mean- something like 1450. I think a Revfire is 20 or something like like. A friend just bought DK and is giving me numbers but they don't add up to me.

Jul 1, 2019
What does spin rate on a Diamond Kinetic ball mean- something like 1450. I think a Revfire is 20 or something like like. A friend just bought DK and is giving me numbers but they don't add up to me.
Revfire is reporting in revolutions per second, DK is reporting revolutions per minute.

oldelec

oldelec
Everyone is so concerned about speed. Good mechanics. spin and change of speed is way more important to me .I see alot of Advanced pitchers with great movement being way more effective than a girl that can just through hard. Even the best hitting coaches can teach you to hit a good movement pitch or a well disquised change up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101