Which radar system for softball pitching in the back yard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2018
we have been using the diamond knetics ball. we tested it against the expensive radar machines in the batting cages and it was close.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
@santafe As noted by @grcsftball noted, the "Pocket Radar Ball Coach" in a great speed radar... $299 USD and the "Pocket Radar Smart Coach" in a great speed radar... $399 USD. Both units take 3 x AAA batteries.

The upgrade to the Smart Coach allows you to use an APP on your phone to read the speed (within 150') and also record videos with the speed on the video within the APP.

In addition, the Smart Coach allows a micro USB connection from another power source, which I use for extended sessions on the "continuous setting"... like at my pitching clinics or tryouts for bat exit speed and over-hand throwing speed.

Just download the APP to any phone and mount the Pocket Radar unit onto a tripod directly behind the catcher/net and connect it to a phone charging battery with a micro USB cord.

Neither of these units has a built-in rechargeable battery system.

If you have any addition questions or clarification... LMK... I would be glad to help eh! Kent @FastpitchPros

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019
we have been using the diamond knetics ball. we tested it against the expensive radar machines in the batting cages and it was close.
I had to look it up - it’s very interesting. A couple of questions: 1) how is the ball’s durability, and 2) have you tried the premium pitcher subscription?

Oct 4, 2018
We use the Bushnell. $80.

If it's just you and your DD, who might give up pitching any day, you don't need much more. Yes, I'd love a fancier toy but this one does just fine for periodic checks to measure increases.

May 11, 2018
I had to look it up - it’s very interesting. A couple of questions: 1) how is the ball’s durability, and 2) have you tried the premium pitcher subscription?
we have been using the ball for close to a year now, no problems yet. you get the premium features free for 30 or 60 days which was great and told us a lot but she was 12 at the time and we were more interested in mechanics and speed now that we will be working on spins more this winter i will probably pay the monthly fee. some people have said it was glitchy but i found when i caught the ball to hold onto it for 1-2 seconds before i throw it back and never had a problem with the data uploading out of the ball to the phone.

Sep 10, 2019
We use the Bushnell. $80.

If it's just you and your DD, who might give up pitching any day, you don't need much more. Yes, I'd love a fancier toy but this one does just fine for periodic checks to measure increases.
I think I remember seeing this one - a gun style, right? Yeah, as long as it’s reasonably accurate, sounds feasible. What is the best position from which to take a velocity reading with this one - can I be behind the plate, behind the pitcher, or off the to the side?

Sep 10, 2019
Ok now you guys have me interested again, Whats the diffence between Revfire and Diamond Kenetics balls?
Oh wow...they’re both interesting. Now, I’m wondering if they both offer exactly the same metrics? The pics and descriptions I viewed weren’t reveling enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802