Which radar system for softball pitching in the back yard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2019
We have enough space to pitch in the back yard. Just curious to know what types of setups people have or have tried? Perhaps a system with a display would work well, but which ones are actually good/durable?

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
If you wanna go all out, the Pocket Radar Smart Coach seems like a really nice upgrade from my PR Ball coach. Easy to use and very accurate. I would stay away from the original with the red button. Does not have the constant mode and you have to work the button a lot

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
If you wanna go all out, the Pocket Radar Smart Coach seems like a really nice upgrade from my PR Ball coach. Easy to use and very accurate. I would stay away from the original with the red button. Does not have the constant mode and you have to work the button a lot
This no doubt it’s the best value and the mobile app is really nice.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I agree with Golfclubgreg... I have 2 Pocket Radar Smart Coach (PRSC), and 1 Pocket Radar Ball Coach (pre-PRSC), and the Pocket Radar Pro System @ my pitching studio tunnel. They are all very accurate and consistent... I have tested the PRSC against the Stalker 2 (more expensive, heavier, and 5 times the size) and they both displayed virtually the same MPH readings. You can also mount a tripod with a cell phone... right next to the pitcher, and it will verbally announce the speed and display the speed within a second or 2 after the throw... For my clinics... Since the units work on Bluetooth... I use inactive iPhone 5C (upgraded to new iPhones) with the Smart Coach APP and it works great. I also use my 12" iPad Pros with the APP as well.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019
Thanks, point taken. I have seen the red button model, but don’t know much about it.

Sep 10, 2019
I agree with Golfclubgreg... I have 2 Pocket Radar Smart Coach (PRSC), and 1 Pocket Radar Ball Coach (pre-PRSC), and the Pocket Radar Pro System @ my pitching studio tunnel. They are all very accurate and consistent... I have tested the PRSC against the Stalker 2 (more expensive, heavier, and 5 times the size) and they both displayed virtually the same MPH readings. You can also mount a tripod with a cell phone... right next to the pitcher, and it will verbally announce the speed and display the speed within a second or 2 after the throw... For my clinics... Since the units work on Bluetooth... I use inactive iPhone 5C (upgraded to new iPhones) with the Smart Coach APP and it works great. I also use my 12" iPad Pros with the APP as well.
I haven’t done much research on all the different Pocket Radar models, yet. I’m guessing the model you mention goes for $499?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My understanding was if you want to measure smaller objects such as ball speed use the PR blue button model. For larger objects like a remote control car, a dirt bike, or a horse, use PR red button.
Just make sure you are as in-line as possible with the direction the object is going. Was at a 16U baseball game yesterday, my PR said 71 while behind the plate, another guy's PR close to the dugout said 84.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get the speed of a horse running right at you, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802