Which is More Important - Throwing or Catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
? why have a catcher on the roster who an injured catcher would be better than?
.....in itself is a bad choice!
Strong arm means they can throw, doesnt mean their a catcher!

School ball is limited to the population of students. In some areas - even in So Cal - you don't always have a lot of options for the quality of players on your roster. The current #2 catcher was the #1 two years ago because she was the only one willing to do the job. I suspect there is a vision issue that is causing her problems. She does a whole lot of stuff right - stance, body/arm position. etc. - but just can't seem to keep the ball in her mitt very well.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
School ball is limited to the population of students. In some areas - even in So Cal - you don't always have a lot of options for the quality of players on your roster. The current #2 catcher was the #1 two years ago because she was the only one willing to do the job. I suspect there is a vision issue that is causing her problems. She does a whole lot of stuff right - stance, body/arm position. etc. - but just can't seem to keep the ball in her mitt very well.
Ohh...high school...nuff said ;)

Rotater cuff injury....
Not hurting throwing back to pitcher, even without pain,
still aggravating to injury if not healed yet and not giving time to heal.
Keeps inflammation present.
Prolongs injury.
If not a league game
+theres another catcher.
Rest.

*Playing injured is a choice people have to make for themselves. Have to live in your body the rest of your life!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
I have a neighbor who is an orthopedic surgeon. Back when DD was a full-time catcher, he warned me about being vigilant about the load on her arm. "Everyone talks about protecting pitchers," he said, "but I see a lot of shoulder injuries in catchers. People tend to overlook how often a catcher has to make the throw back to the pitcher, not to mention the big throws down to second base."

It's interesting that you got to see two different catchers affect different outcomes against the same team. But when it comes to a shoulder injury, take the time off.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Catcher 1 - Great receiving, but has an arm injury, and can't throw to any base.
Catcher 2 - Spotty receiving, with multiple passed balls per game, but has a strong arm.

Which one do you put behind the plate?
#2 - I don't want an injured girl behind the plate, especially one with an arm injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28