Which is harder to achieve?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
12U. Which is harder to gain, speed or control. My 12 year old daughter (5'3", 105 lbs) has impeccable control. I see it, her coach says it, her pitching coach says it, and other parents on the team say it. But, her speed is lacking.

1st game in tourney yesterday, she had no hits against her until the 4th inning (we have awsome defense), 5 or 6 strike-outs, and 3 of those went down looking. Ended up winning 7-2. We played that same team again later in the day, and they were hitting just about everything she threw. It was due to lack of speed.

They brought in another pitcher who threw real good in our 2nd game of the day (using speed). When she came in this game, she walked, and walked, and walked, and hit batters as well.

We had played that team 3 or 4 weeks ago, and they beat us 3-1, with DD pitching.

I would like to see more speed (with her control) out of my DD. We have tried, and tried. Is this something we have to wait on? In other words, could this just be as fast as she can pitch for her size and age?

Mar 11, 2009
ttt

It sounds like she's already got the control, so all you have to do is work on the speed while maintaining her control. For my DD I say control is harder to learn.

May 12, 2008
Learning control is one thing. Learning speed is another thing. Learning control with speed is another. Learn control at slow speed you just have to learn it again after you learn to throw hard and you will always be tempted to reduce the speed to throw strikes. But that's info you needed years ago. For now I'd keep doing what you are doing in games and practice but add regular long toss with the Jaeger protocol to your practice regimen. Let that sneak into her regular pitching as it will.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm going to be honest with you--genetics determines the maximum speed a girl can throw. The length of the arm is critical in speed. My DD was 5'9", but her arms are probably a couple of inches longer than normal. In college, she was cruising at 62 mph. Abbott and Finch are taller than 6', and they cruise at 67 mph.

Unless your DD grows some more, she will probably will not be able to cruise at 55 MPH. She may top out at 52 or 53 mph at maturity, which would barely be enough for HS pitching.

You should get your pediatrician to estimate her size. If she isn't going to grow any more, you should consider some other position. It takes a lot of time to develop a pitcher. If your DD is reasonably athletic (and since she has great control, it sounds like she is), it might be better off using the same amount of time and money to work on fielding, hitting and running rather than pitching.

Ray

Dec 19, 2008
Mark

For now I'd keep doing what you are doing in games and practice but add regular long toss with the Jaeger protocol to your practice regimen. Let that sneak into her regular pitching as it will.[/QUOTE]

Mark, what is this?

Dec 19, 2008
I'm going to be honest with you--genetics determines the maximum speed a girl can throw. The length of the arm is critical in speed. My DD was 5'9", but her arms are probably a couple of inches longer than normal. In college, she was cruising at 62 mph. Abbott and Finch are taller than 6', and they cruise at 67 mph.

Unless your DD grows some more, she will probably will not be able to cruise at 55 MPH. She may top out at 52 or 53 mph at maturity, which would barely be enough for HS pitching.

You should get your pediatrician to estimate her size. If she isn't going to grow any more, you should consider some other position. It takes a lot of time to develop a pitcher. If your DD is reasonably athletic (and since she has great control, it sounds like she is), it might be better off using the same amount of time and money to work on fielding, hitting and running rather than pitching.

Ray

Daughters arms and fingers are long. She can just about touch her knees standing straight.

May 12, 2008
Rachel Fox, 2010 Texas commit, looks to be 5'4" maybe and throws mid 60's so you never know. But yes, there is a genetic potential. Point is, to reach that potential. Long toss can help. As someone once said, just about everyone pitches at some point. Some give it up at 10, more all along the way. Nothing wrong with that. Mid 50's with control and movement can get you a lot of fun at some D3 schools if pitching is what you love. If you can hit like crazy or run crazy fast, you might have more fun and reach a higher level playing a position other than pitcher.

May 12, 2008
For now I'd keep doing what you are doing in games and practice but add regular long toss with the Jaeger protocol to your practice regimen. Let that sneak into her regular pitching as it will.

Mark, what is this?[/QUOTE]

Do a youtube search for Jaeger long toss but to give you the short version. Make sure she is well warmed up and loose. Start off at your usual distance. Slowly back up each throw till she is windmillling it as far as she can using whatever ARC results in the greatest distance. It should feel good. Don't force or muscle it. When the max distance is reached, slowly work your way back trying to keep the same feel and motion that produced the greatest distance changing only the release point till for accuracy till you are back to regulation pitching distance. Just like you lift weights to get stronger, this is the workout to get faster. It's separate from your usual pitching work.

May 12, 2008
Daughters arms and fingers are long. She can just about touch her knees standing straight.

Which means she probably has more potential than other kids her height. Cat Osterman has long fingers. Learn to spin the ball like her and fifty something mph becomes very very hard to hit.

Apr 3, 2009
velocity & accuracy

Keep encouraging your daughter!!!
At 11, I was 5'4 and 115 lbs; pitching 55 mph with accuracy. While both of my parents were college athletes, they taught me that anything is possible if I put my heart into it. I know that my speed jumped 8 mph while I was doing velocity and agility training.
My pitching coach always told me that I can build on my speed, but being able to command where I put the ball will keep batters guessing.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802