Which HS team would be better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
The particular school's scores are the one's I'd suggest they look up. I know a coach who looks for kids with a 25 or better or SAT equivalent. I'm sure Stanford's minimums are much higher than the NCAA's. Just depends on what school you are interested in.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Which HS

My husband headed down to Mohegan Sun to the softball conference this past Saturday.
Cat Osterman was speaking and she felt that even players looking at colleges should FIRST make sure that the college offered programs they were interested in. Very few end up playing pro, some get injured ...she really felt an education came first (even at the college level) because you had to have something to fall back on.

Education always should come first. (IMHO)

We are new to all this...who knows how far my 12 DD will go. I'm sure we would all be thrilled if she pitched for some small college while she was getting a great education in what she wanted to do ....

I'm sure if we were at a point where we had a choice for HS, we would certainly be asking questions and weighing options. No way to predict the future so we consider many possible paths for options.
For some kids, softball as a preference might be the right (but maybe riskier) choice/gamble.

Being "discovered" certainly has to do with talent ...but I'm of the belief that luck has a lot to do with it.
I'm betting that there are thousands of "invisible" talented players all over this country. Crossing paths with the right people sometimes happens, and sometimes it doesn't.

May 12, 2008
One question I tell kids and parents to ask themselves is, if you fell down the steps the first day of school and could never play again, would you stay there?

Yeah, at the end of four or five years, it's all about the education. There are no million dollar contracts like MLB.

Jan 15, 2009
If your DD is serious about playing college softball, but you're not interested in spending more than a college scholarship to get a college scholarship you might considering picking a school (or two) your daughter wants to attend college at and attending their summer camps and clinics every year. "IF" your daughter has what it takes she will get noticed, and usually there is the opportunity to tell the coaches your interested and ask for an honest evaluation of whether or not a scholarship is in the picture and/or what needs to improve for that to be the case. Also would be good to ask whether or not your kid would be good enough to be a walk on in case she "god forbid" gets an academic scholarship.

The one thing I would say about the choice of HS's all things being equal education wise. Which coach is going to develop your daughter more, and which coach is more active in helping place top athletes with college programs. Some HS coaches are plugged in with certain colleges, sometimes because they are alumni, sometimes they've simply placed players there before. Usually good travel programs are more plugged in, but if that isn't available, it's not available.

We are a small rural community. For the past two years, we have had two girls with offers to sign for college ball. One declined (school was too far off) and the one this year signed last week. The first one walked onto a Junior College team and is hoping to get picked up by a four year school not so far away. The senior this year is hoping the same. Both girls played travel ball, but I noticed during our HS season in the fall, the coach from the Junior College was at almost every home game we had.

Our school is very good academically. The softball team has won back to back state championships, taking the overall state title this year with only 13 girls on the team. Since we are so rural, it is hard to get softball players here, even with a fabulous softball team and great academics.

We are looking at 6 more years of HS ball with my dd. I would not consider another school simply for their softball program. Academics come first (I'm a former teacher). Travel ball is always available so if the school's softball program isn't the best in the world, travel! :) Just my opinion.

Jun 6, 2009
HS SB in most instances is an abomination before the almighty. The Devil and all of the fallen angels hover over most HS SB fields.

If dd is a good student to go with the good academics, placing a good athlete with good academics into a college is much easier. HS SB has very very little bearing on college placement.

Agree....Get Aradi's book. She is the best.

Agree....with Mark many kids overlook the possibilities of playing college ball at levels other than D1. THEY are missing out on some free rides as well. With the exception of the top 25 D1 schools many top level DII;s regularly can and do beat D1's.