which do you prefer?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
run at a bit and stare down before throwing behind a runner, or simply popping and throwing (or throw from knees as soon as ball in hand)?

trying to get DD to stop staring at runners with arm cocked, simply note that she thinks she can get a runner, and pop and throw on next pitch.

I think at the level and age she plays at (12U-B), this will cause a lot of runners to hesitate and or freeze.

thoughts?

Aug 26, 2019
This is often how my daughter is also. I think her hesitation to throw came from lack of confidence in a) her teammates to catch and make the tag and b) knowing she was going to have an accurate throw. It only took one bad throw and a teammate yelling at her for it to kind of squash that pop and throw mentality for her. I’m hoping with a new group of girls this year that she can get back some of that confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 12, 2014
Generally, I prefer just the straight throw if the catcher feels that they can get the runner with a back pick.

However, there may be times when a fake is called for. For instance, with 2 outs and a hitter near the bottom of the order at the plate, I really don't want my catcher back picking. I'd rather work on the hitter and take away the chance for an error moving the runner into scoring position.

DD's varsity team lost two games a couple years ago when the catcher was trying to back pick a runner at 3rd with two outs. Both times she threw the ball away allowing the tying or winning run to score.

Also, if the catcher thinks the other team may be baiting her into a back pick in order to steal on the throw, then a fake is a great idea.

May 20, 2016
Really depends on the strength of the catchers arm. We have 2 catchers on our team. One has a cannon, the other is still working. One with a cannon fires as soon as she catches the ball. Other one will take a step or two.

As a coach i've always told the catcher to just fire the ball, no reason to ware themselves out running half way to the bag.

May 6, 2015
This is often how my daughter is also. I think her hesitation to throw came from lack of confidence in a) her teammates to catch and make the tag and b) knowing she was going to have an accurate throw. It only took one bad throw and a teammate yelling at her for it to kind of squash that pop and throw mentality for her. I’m hoping with a new group of girls this year that she can get back some of that confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is part of it for DD too, and part of it is habit formed from rec, where she generally did not have green light to backpick by coaches for just that fear. but now I try and tell her, you do your job, and you expect your teammates to do theirs.

Apr 25, 2019
My DD plays 12u-A and she will catch the first pitch and give a glance over to first to check the distance from first. The next pitch, if its handled with no issues, she will snap throw it. Depending on the situation of course. 2 outs in a close game, no.

That being said, there are coaches out there that will say to never throw behind the runner. It doesn't take long for runners to figure that out and start taking huge leads and trying delayed steals. So personally I am not a fan. If you can accurately make the throw...go for it

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If your first baseman looks slow of foot and cant transfer the ball quickly, runners are hoping she throws behind and they break for 2nd. If you cant back pick the runner snap it back to the pitcher quickly. No standing with ball in your hand. When a runner is taking a very big lead you can try having catcher break into a straight line sprint right at her immediately. Sometime the inexperienced runner will freeze having never seen that before. It is very funny when it works.

Apr 28, 2019
run at a bit and stare down before throwing behind a runner, or simply popping and throwing (or throw from knees as soon as ball in hand)?

trying to get DD to stop staring at runners with arm cocked, simply note that she thinks she can get a runner, and pop and throw on next pitch.

I think at the level and age she plays at (12U-B), this will cause a lot of runners to hesitate and or freeze.

thoughts?
No need to stare. Run at her hard once and then gun her down if strays too far.

Apr 16, 2013
At the higher levels you've gotta be careful with the steal tactics. Our #1 (my DD is #2) is very fast and has a very strong throw. I've seen her caught twice this year. Girl takes a lead and tests her, get the pick off attempt and back safe. Next time she takes a slightly larger lead, pick off attempt and she's gone. Takes a smart girl to be that calculating but it worked. Would have been a perfect time for our catcher to recognize this, fake throw, then you got her when/if she bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28