Which batter starts the next inning? A D3K situation.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2016
Runner on third, two outs.

Batter strikes out swinging, catcher drops the ball. Batter runs to first and runner on third comes home. Catcher makes the tag on the runner coming home just before the batter-runner reached first. Three outs, inning over.

The next inning, the umpire says that the batter who struck out to end the previous inning is still up, because she hadn't reached base before the tag was made on the runner coming home and therefore she was never retired.

Is that correct? It didn't seem right to me but DD's coach was convinced.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Yeah that doesn't even make sense. It would be equivalent of the batter hitting a hard grounder and the fielder making a tag on a base runner prior to the girl reaching 1st and having the batter hit again next inning. Seems strange an ump would make that call and stranger that your coach agrees with the call. Was he also the third base coach in this situation because.........:oops:?

May 29, 2015
Incorrect ... the batter completed her turn at bat once the third strike was called. At that point she becomes a batter runner, this she is not entitled to return to the plate to lead off the next inning.

If citation is needed, I’ll have to piece it together later as it is a combination of several rules. There may be a case play out there ...

Jun 11, 2013
I don't think we need any clarification. I've witnessed the same situation come up in games with run rules where the 5th run scores on a WP or PB on a 3-0 pitch so you have to ask the PU if it was a ball or strike to determine if the batter was walked or not to determine who was up first the next inning.

Aug 23, 2016
Yeah that doesn't even make sense. It would be equivalent of the batter hitting a hard grounder and the fielder making a tag on a base runner prior to the girl reaching 1st and having the batter hit again next inning. Seems strange an ump would make that call and stranger that your coach agrees with the call. Was he also the third base coach in this situation because.........:oops:?

Interestingly, that was the exact example I used to argue that our batter shouldn't be up again the next inning. But I was just the scorekeeper, so no one listens to me.

Incorrect ... the batter completed her turn at bat once the third strike was called. At that point she becomes a batter runner, this she is not entitled to return to the plate to lead off the next inning.

If citation is needed, I’ll have to piece it together later as it is a combination of several rules. There may be a case play out there ...

Thanks for the explanation. That makes total sense. I'm hoping that DD's coach just didn't want to argue - the girls were ahead at the time and in the end it didn't hurt DD's team at all. Hopefully it won't come up again.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I'm hoping that DD's coach just didn't want to argue - the girls were ahead at the time and in the end it didn't hurt DD's team at all. Hopefully it won't come up again.
Why do people feel compelled to mention whether or not an umpire's call hurt their DD's team? One call does not make a difference in a game! There are ample opportunities when a team plays seven innings to put themselves in a position to win. The whole notion that "the umpire cost us the game" is simply not true.

Aug 23, 2016
Why do people feel compelled to mention whether or not an umpire's call hurt their DD's team? One call does not make a difference in a game! There are ample opportunities when a team plays seven innings to put themselves in a position to win. The whole notion that "the umpire cost us the game" is simply not true.

Sensitive much?

Nothing that I wrote suggests that I think umpires are that important to a game's outcome. You're just looking for offense. :rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Sensitive much?

Nothing that I wrote suggests that I think umpires are that important to a game's outcome. You're just looking for offense. :rolleyes:
As a matter of fact, I am sensitive to such posts. As an umpire, it always bugs me when someone claims a call determined the game's outcome.

What purpose do your words, "...in the end [the call] didn't hurt DD's team at all" serve? If you're not suggesting that had the call led to a big inning against your daughter's team, the umpire would bear blame, my apologies for misinterpreting what you wrote. But more often than not, that's exactly what the poster implies when he/she makes such a comment that is really irrelevant to the call itself.

I've been on the receiving end of these accusations that a call I made was the difference in a team's winning or losing. The accusers won't bother to admit that their team's inability to make plays on defense or hit the ball where they ain't on offense was the overwhelming reason why they lost. And when they claim my call didn't hurt their team at all, it comes across as, "You're lucky this time, Blue." So it does bug me.

Aug 23, 2016
If you're not suggesting that had the call led to a big inning against your daughter's team, the umpire would bear blame, my apologies for misinterpreting what you wrote.

Well, that couldn't be what I meant because it was my daughter's teammate who struck out and then had to bat again in the next inning. I never mentioned in my OP which team was which because I wanted an unbiased opinion, which several posters gave me.

Also, "in the end it didn't hurt DD's team at all" =/= "the call could have been the determining factor in the game." Again, that's you looking for offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802