Where to start ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2017
Hi everyone ! So my DD is 12 years old , about 5’9 and a lefty ... she has all the makings and athleticism to be a successful pitcher. Problem is mechanically there are so many different flaws and it seems they change from day to day. We think we fix one and we gain 2 more. Is this normal ? I’m not sure where exactly to start. I know she needs to have better posture and tends to bend too much upon delivery, often leading with her top half She also pre turns her foot causing her to open too quickly. After we work on that , she started flying open with the glove. After that she started having a backswing issue. Then it was an arm circle issue. Despite the daily troubles there are days when she looks great. I just don’t know where to start. I feel like we jump around from one thing to the next and it’s messing her up more. Too much thinking.
we have been without a pitching coach since this whole corona virus thing started so working a lot on our own.
can anyone offer help ? Advice ? Talk me off the ledge ? Lol.
Ps how do i upload a video for advice ? Only seem to be able to attach a photo
Thanks in advance

Sep 29, 2014
Easiest is upload to youtube and insert link. For drive phase the not turning foot thing you can work on without ball, just lets you get a lot of reps in without wearing out her arm, can also check her landing foot as well as posture. Then progress directly to working with ball into net so she isn't focused on locating the pitch to see how she works on keeping good form with the ball. No need to be on the ledge....she is 12 and this is a marathon not a sprint.

Oct 4, 2018
Just give up now. :p Just kidding. It's fun and will be a bonding experience.

Probably goes without saying, but the mental aspect might be more important than the physical. She's athletic and that's great. Is she driven, persistent, patient. Assuming she is, it'll still be a long journey.

But not that long. My daughter went from goofy to good in about a year of serious work. We worked on it probably an average of 4x per week. Sometimes throwing 100 balls and sometimes recognizing her head wasn't into it and stopping at 20. Some days only drills, some days only full pitch. Weekly lessons and of course travel practices and games.

It can be done, and actually isn't all that hard. But you need the time and the drive. And the patience.

Oct 4, 2018
Many teachers will teach virtual lessons. We're doing that now. Ask for one.

Upload video to facebook. Post link to video in your post here. Easy peazy.

Feb 11, 2020
Sounds like my daughter! Decent pitcher but the leaning and finishing forward always bugged me. Probably is my fault since I’ve been taking her to PCs for 2 years that teach her this. Taking the time now to do virtual lessons to straighten up her posture which should make her faster...will let ya know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 30, 2017
Easiest is upload to youtube and insert link. For drive phase the not turning foot thing you can work on without ball, just lets you get a lot of reps in without wearing out her arm, can also check her landing foot as well as posture. Then progress directly to working with ball into net so she isn't focused on locating the pitch to see how she works on keeping good form with the ball. No need to be on the ledge....she is 12 and this is a marathon not a sprint.
Thanks for the advice !!! Will def try that !!

May 30, 2017
Just give up now. :p Just kidding. It's fun and will be a bonding experience.

Probably goes without saying, but the mental aspect might be more important than the physical. She's athletic and that's great. Is she driven, persistent, patient. Assuming she is, it'll still be a long journey.

But not that long. My daughter went from goofy to good in about a year of serious work. We worked on it probably an average of 4x per week. Sometimes throwing 100 balls and sometimes recognizing her head wasn't into it and stopping at 20. Some days only drills, some days only full pitch. Weekly lessons and of course travel practices and games.

It can be done, and actually isn't all that hard. But you need the time and the drive. And the patience.
Thanks so much for the advice !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802