Where To Stand in The Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Dd is a slapper. Starts in the middle of the box closer to the plate. Since slappers are taught to swing later to try to get the ball into the 5-6 hole they can’t start too far back in the box because they will either hit it foul or right to 3B - assuming pitcher is throwing them outside which most typically do.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Dd is a slapper. Starts in the middle of the box closer to the plate. Since slappers are taught to swing later to try to get the ball into the 5-6 hole they can’t start too far back in the box because they will either hit it foul or right to 3B - assuming pitcher is throwing them outside which most typically do.
Yes that outside, outside, outside shows a pattern.
Like to throw inside!
Luv calling them drops down and in!!

May 27, 2013
Yes that outside, outside, outside shows a pattern.
Like to throw inside!
Luv calling them drops down and in!!
Yep! I’d call curveballs all day against slappers, or changeups as it tends to disrupt their timing. Dd just shakes her head when they keep throwing her outside because she’ll just soft slap on the ground to 3B or SS and she’s safe almost every time.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I'l just add this because it was funny and funny never hurts. My DD's HS team is pretty good (for a D6 school. 4 time defending league champs) but the school is small so the roster is filled out with some freshmen that have little to no SB experience.

During the last game of the last preseason tournament (also the last game of this season) coach put in one of the most inexperienced players. She had hit in live games a few times before but this game had a pretty big gaggle of people watching.

She is a RHB but she first stepped into the LH box facing the pitcher. Then when the whole bench started to tell her she was in the wrong box she moved to the RH box with her butt facing the plate. Coach had to come out and position her properly. I felt so bad for her. It was really embarrassing for the whole team (didn't help they were getting beat 9-1 at the time).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802