Where to put throwing hand?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Just curious Slugger, was it behind the glove when it got hit (maybe on a tip off the ground or something), or was she pulling it out from behind the mitt, say getting ready to throw out a baserunner, and the batter tipped it (or she just missed the ball, or whatever)?

I'm just asking, because the same thing could happen if the hand is down behind the leg, if she starts moving the hand away from the position too early. My DD got hit on the end of the thumb in just that way last year, she had it down behind her leg, and moved it out too early because a girl was stealing, and the batter tipped it slightly. Nothing was broken, but a 50ish mph pitch right on the end of the thumb didn't feel too good (it didn't look too good for a week or 2, either).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not sure how it happened. She was learning the "behind the glove" technique in practice with a pitcher that was throwing around 55 MPH. She may have moved her hand into the glove too early, or she may have had her throwing hand too close to the glove.

In case someone is asking, "What is the correct method?", Nuveman neither puts her hand behind the glove nor behind her back nor behind her leg. She holds her right hand at glove height slightly inside her right knee. This capture was from the first US v. Japanese Olympic game with a runner at 1B.

0952bc2d7bd04ba68b1c079c87454440.jpg

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We sometimes forget that Olympic athletes have abilities far beyond those of mortals. No one should teach a 12 YOA kid to mimic Nuveman on this, but I bet someone will try.

Ray

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A few weeks ago I attended the NFCA Coaching College on position play in St. Paul. The instructors were John Tschida of the University of St. Thomas, Bill Edwards of Hofstra University, and Allison Habetz of the University of Alabama. When they got to the catcher portion, they demonstrated the preferred technique recommended by the NFCA. It's the hand behind the shinguard. They did mention the hand behind the glove, but said the preference is behind the shinguard.

We talk a lot here about looking at what the best in the world do, and often reference MLB players. So I took a look around the Internet to see what MLB catchers do. I found that MLB catchers also put the hand behind the shinguard. I don't have all the names of the catchers since it's hard to find catchers in the receiving position by searching on them. I searched on hitters for the most part.

Here's White Sox catcher A J Pierzynski. His hand is behind the shinguard. I also have one with him hitting and someone else catching. Same thing.

Here's one with Derek Jeter hitting. I can't see exactly where the throwing hand is, but I can see where it isn't -- behind the glove. The same with this shot of Pujols hitting.

On this one of Alfonso Soriano hitting, the hand isn't behind the shinguard, but it's close. It may have been pulled out as he hit the ball.

You get the idea. I didn't find a single one with the hand behind the glove. Not saying they're out there, but I didn't find any.

Back in the day, all catchers put the hand behind the glove. Johnny Bench changed that in the early '70s. Seems like it's still the standard.

Heres an old post...
Thought it has an important discussion point.

Agree throwing hand behind the shin guard!
Just below/behind knee.
(really to the side and behind)
*Two hands to the ball when receiving pitches,+ wild and dirt, to make a play. Transition quickly in front of body. Field and Fire!

No behind the back!
Ouch rotates shoulder into arm lock position! Also Tends to take away balance.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DD puts TH on outside of her thigh. She was taught behind the back early and never liked it for the reasons mentioned. I think the most important thing to do with throwing hand is tuck thumb inside of fingers in a fist.
5CC4765B-E09F-45E0-B3FA-EA43E90542E2.png

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Screenshot_2020-01-18-07-07-18-1.png
YES!
jdaddy your picture best description!
Beside Behind.
Like you added make a fist!

Ummm i kinda took a riskier ready stance with throwing hand placement.....
....but i made a fist! :)

20170919_150122-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2