Where to get more power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
This is my granddaughter, a work in progress. Started playing 2nd year of 12u, missed a Covid year and is now 15. Been playing catch up and just needing to tighten things up. Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated.

Aug 20, 2017
This is what I could find, a fairly recent video that shows her from a good angle. I think the issue is in her legs, she tends to move them around a lot and not anchoring well. I'm no hitting coach and don't want to mess with her too much because she's hitting for good average, (mid 400s and high avg. of hard hit balls), right now. But, something seems to be amiss. Thanks for any insight.

Not too bad! You are correct on her legs. She’s certainly got more in her. Slow changes. Don’t do anything too drastic during the season. If she’s barreling the ball up with good timing you don’t want to slow her down in season. Have her do the drill linked below on tees and front toss. In games tell her to just do her thing and attack the ball. This is a good start with learning how to build some momentum and create a new stride pattern.

Oct 3, 2019
Not too bad! You are correct on her legs. She’s certainly got more in her. Slow changes. Don’t do anything too drastic during the season. If she’s barreling the ball up with good timing you don’t want to slow her down in season. Have her do the drill linked below on tees and front toss. In games tell her to just do her thing and attack the ball. This is a good start with learning how to build some momentum and create a new stride pattern.

Thank you!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It creates slop throughout her lower and into upper/bat. Looks more like a whip action which is why she hit’s it well sometimes.

It’s not a swing quickness swing. She might struggle with speed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The question is can she change. If she is set in her movement pattern, can she change?

Her swing is how she solved the problem of moving a bat (how to apply force to it), how to hit a moving ball

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020
For improving power look to track and field’s med ball training for throwers. Keep the ball 4 to 6 lbs. Speed is the key. These are fun workouts that don’t take long. Intention is what matters not tired, sweaty, or sore.

Jan 25, 2022
DD’s friend is an 09, maybe 5’3” 115. She has been doing crossfit for several years. She hits bombs at 14U.

Plenty of people have suggested strength work, but transferring that new power as explosivity is key, and that's a common component of crossfit programming. My kid is gonna work on overall strength, speed and explosiveness this offseason, so there'll be plenty of power cleans and box jumps in there. We might even find a tire for flipping, sprints while harnessed to a weight sled, kettlebells, etc. I think the summer workout kids may even find some of this stuff fun. Working on that ability to recruit all the muscles in an efficient way would be a huge help.

Oct 3, 2019
So here is an update after she’s been doing some work. Please let me know if anything jumps out that she still needs to fix. Thanks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812