Where to get more power?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Exactly. As if a mechanical fix alludes everyone and if we were to make it everyone would be hitting bombs.

There are a lot of bad swings hitting home runs in college softball.

There are multiple pieces to the puzzle. What pieces are missing is different hitter to hitter. Threads like these can be good because you get a spectrum of suggestions. Then pick and choose those that make the most sense for your DD/player.

I also like reading through them as I generally learn something I didn’t know before.

May 17, 2012
There are multiple pieces to the puzzle. What pieces are missing is different hitter to hitter. Threads like these can be good because you get a spectrum of suggestions. Then pick and choose those that make the most sense for your DD/player.

I also like reading through them as I generally learn something I didn’t know before.

Agreed but the OP literally led with the following, "Considering swing mechanics are good, what is the one area to look..."

Some people always want to drag it back to mechanics. Hence my avatar btw....

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Could you explain how ,where and when leverage works in the swing and where it most commonly leaks? And how to fix it?
You could look at any of my last 500 posts. :)

Lack of leverage would be caused by:. bat drag, bat/forearm positioning, rear leg vertical in the stance, landing on a stiff front leg, etc.

Optimum technique includes 1) proper leverage and 2) tight rotation [Conservation of Angular Momentum - think ice skater - and not throwing the hands/biceps away from the body too early) over strength at every possible opportunity.

lever1a_orig.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Post a video of her vs live pitching. Energy is leaking somewhere
What is her batting avg?
If she can bench 100lbs she should be plenty strong
This is what I could find, a fairly recent video that shows her from a good angle. I think the issue is in her legs, she tends to move them around a lot and not anchoring well. I'm no hitting coach and don't want to mess with her too much because she's hitting for good average, (mid 400s and high avg. of hard hit balls), right now. But, something seems to be amiss. Thanks for any insight.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
don't want to mess with her too much because she's hitting for good average, (mid 400s and high avg. of hard hit balls), right now. But, something seems to be amiss.

2022-0404-1.gif

Someone has ruined her stride. The stride needs work (no stride/coil action, and the front knee completely rolls over), so she cant use her body at all. It's all arms. I would not worry about her current average, this is a fatal flaw that will limit her ceiling. However, it's easily fixed.

Do dry strides at home (no bat, ball, tee etc.). Pick up the front knee (without hiking up the front hip) to belt level, and fall onto a very bent front knee. DO NOT turn over your front knee (as she does here). You should master this in a couple of days. Do this every day as long as you play.

It's going to feel weird, and you may break some other things when you fix the stride. Video again after stride is fixed.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
View attachment 25305

Someone has ruined her stride. The stride needs work (no stride/coil action, and the front knee completely rolls over), so she cant use her body at all. It's all arms. I would not worry about her current average, this is a fatal flaw that will limit her ceiling. However, it's easily fixed.

Do dry strides at home (no bat, ball, tee etc.). Pick up the front knee (without hiking up the front hip) to belt level, and fall onto a very bent front knee. DO NOT turn over your front knee (as she does here). You should master this in a couple of days. Do this every day as long as you play.

It's going to feel weird, and you may break some other things when you fix the stride. Video again after stride is fixed.
Thank you! Yes her stride always seems hurried. Problem is, she is making consistent hard contact. Afraid to mess that up because she can become a head case. But definitely will get her to work on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee