Where to Begin with a 15yr old.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2019
Difficult and most important are 2 different things. If a MLB pitcher had a career 50% success (defined here as keeping a hitter from reaching base) rate it would be horrible. If a hitter had that it would be the best in the history of MLB.
Basically I pointed out to EF that his statement hitting is the most important skill in the game was not a factual statement.
It may be to an IF but throwing and fielding are also important skills. That would be a good debate what is more important hitting, throwing, fielding.
If what he said was prefaced with other than pitching hitting is the most important skill I could understand that. My issue was with the blanket claim hitting is the most important skill in the game. It is not.
EF rather than admit he was wrong or misspoke wanted to shift the discussion to everything but what I was questioning. He actually started commenting on typo’s rather than take ownership of what was in question. It’s ok to be wrong once in while.
Offensive wins a lot of games good pitching & defense win Championships.
Take my boys for example the underperforming 2019 NY Yankees. They set the all time HR record in 2018 and were in a back and forth for most of the 19 season to set the record again. The twins prevailed but if Stanton didn’t miss most of the year and Judge played the full season we would of blown the Twins out of the water.
All the home runs and good hitters on this team didn’t mean squat due to inconsistent pitching and suspension of German.
Is it a fluke that the World Series had four of the best pitchers in the game? Sherzer, Strasburg with Nats and Verlander, Cole with Houston. Nope.
Any good coach, Dad, Mom will tell you pitching takes a higher level of commitment than any other position. Pitching with the windmill technique is hard and is the hardest skill to learn in softball. This is a fact and it’s indisputable. If you don’t have a DD that pitches or just aren’t up on softball protocol I guess you may question which is more important.
Your stud pitcher is much more likely to get a full ride than any position player with a good stick.

Jun 8, 2016
Basically I pointed out to EF that his statement hitting is the most important skill in the game was not a factual statement.
It may be to an IF but throwing and fielding are also important skills. That would be a good debate what is more important hitting, throwing, fielding.
If what he said was prefaced with other than pitching hitting is the most important skill I could understand that. My issue was with the blanket claim hitting is the most important skill in the game. It is not.
EF rather than admit he was wrong or misspoke wanted to shift the discussion to everything but what I was questioning. He actually started commenting on typo’s rather than take ownership of what was in question. It’s ok to be wrong once in while.
Offensive wins a lot of games good pitching & defense win Championships.
Take my boys for example the underperforming 2019 NY Yankees. They set the all time HR record in 2018 and were in a back and forth for most of the 19 season to set the record again. The twins prevailed but if Stanton didn’t miss most of the year and Judge played the full season we would of blown the Twins out of the water.
All the home runs and good hitters on this team didn’t mean squat due to inconsistent pitching and suspension of German.
Is it a fluke that the World Series had four of the best pitchers in the game? Sherzer, Strasburg with Nats and Verlander, Cole with Houston. Nope.
Any good coach, Dad, Mom will tell you pitching takes a higher level of commitment than any other position. Pitching with the windmill technique is hard and is the hardest skill to learn in softball. This is a fact and it’s indisputable. If you don’t have a DD that pitches or just aren’t up on softball protocol I guess you may question which is more important.
Your stud pitcher is much more likely to get a full ride than any position player with a good stick.
He said difficult, not important. Two different things like I said. I will still contend, based upon the argument that I gave, that hitting a baseball successfully is more difficult than pitching successfully. The success rate for a good pitcher is much higher than the success rate for a good hitter.

Whatever, not important to the topic at hand since the OP doesn't have a kid who pitches..

Apr 28, 2019
He said difficult, not important. Two different things like I said. I will still contend, based upon the argument that I gave, that hitting a baseball successfully is more difficult than pitching successfully. The success rate for a good pitcher is much higher than the success rate for a good hitter.

Whatever, not important to the topic at hand since the OP doesn't have a kid who pitches..

Apr 28, 2019

In this case difficult/important are one in the same. Specifically speaking to windmill pitching technique. Throwing overhand is much easier. Used the Yanks as hitting example. Your stats weren’t relevant. Not a category where stats are required. Apples & Oranges.
You build your team around pitching. Not interested in a back & forth with you. EF made a blanket statement that was incorrect. In softball pitching is the most difficult skill to master. Any Parent who played HS or college ball can teach a kid to hit. Try and teach a kid to pitch and get back to me on which you feel is more difficult.
At that point we could have an informed discussion. Anyway, all set with this thread.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I had a lengthy response to MB22, but it’s just not worth it for a guy who can’t understand that the difference between “difficult” and “important” is significant. Damn, man. You’ve got issues...

TxFam6 - I hope this mess doesn’t scare you off. There actually are a lot of helpful people on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802