Where to Begin with a 15yr old.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2019
My Daughter has been away from softball for 3 years. Before she stepped away for cheer she was a solid infielder. In the past three years she has gotten so much strength from Cheer, but I don't know what else to look for to get her ready for High School Ball. What is the normal speed from a 15yr old pitcher that she will be facing? What skills do we need to work on that will be though in the high school level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My Daughter has been away from softball for 3 years. Before she stepped away for cheer she was a solid infielder. In the past three years she has gotten so much strength from Cheer, but I don't know what else to look for to get her ready for High School Ball. What is the normal speed from a 15yr old pitcher that she will be facing? What skills do we need to work on that will be though in the high school level.

"Normal speed" will vary a lot depending on region and level of play. In So Cal travel ball, it's pretty common for 16U pitchers to throw upper-50s to low-60s.

In HS ball last year, my DD faced a pitcher who throws mid-60's with a good change-up and very good movement pitches. Behind that pitcher, that team won their state division championship. She's a beast, and will probably be going to a good D1 college. Last year, my DD also faced a pitcher that had trouble throwing 40mph and trouble throwing the ball in the strike zone. She was the best pitcher on that team. Everyone else was somewhere between those two.

To get ready for HS ball, practice everything - throwing, fielding, hitting, running, sliding, etc. Since hitting is the most difficult skill in the game, spend the most time working on that.

Oct 7, 2019
"Normal speed" will vary a lot depending on region and level of play. In So Cal travel ball, it's pretty common for 16U pitchers to throw upper-50s to low-60s.

In HS ball last year, my DD faced a pitcher who throws mid-60's with a good change-up and very good movement pitches. Behind that pitcher, that team won their state division championship. She's a beast, and will probably be going to a good D1 college. Last year, my DD also faced a pitcher that had trouble throwing 40mph and trouble throwing the ball in the strike zone. She was the best pitcher on that team. Everyone else was somewhere between those two.

To get ready for HS ball, practice everything - throwing, fielding, hitting, running, sliding, etc. Since hitting is the most difficult skill in the game, spend the most time working on that.
Thanks for the pointers. She has a strong arm that will bruise my had after 10 min of drills, her hitting is what we are trying to get her to swing through the ball. She has the power with the fast hands we just need to bring it out to the max. I am hoping for her to land a starting spot on JV, at her school the Varsity coach usually just has Travel Ball girls playing for her. We are located south of Fresno (Central Cali).

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Since she has not played for 3 years start with very basics. Fielding, throwing, footwork, etc. On offense start off the tee until the swing is right. Don't move on until she gets it right.

My blueprint for any skills communication in order is the 5 "tions" pronounced shuns.
Instruction, demonstration, repetition, correction, repetition.

Once the skills are there then worry about the level of play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the pointers. She has a strong arm that will bruise my had after 10 min of drills, her hitting is what we are trying to get her to swing through the ball. She has the power with the fast hands we just need to bring it out to the max. I am hoping for her to land a starting spot on JV, at her school the Varsity coach usually just has Travel Ball girls playing for her. We are located south of Fresno (Central Cali).

A suggestion...Take video of your DD hitting, post it in the "Practical Hitting" section, and ask for advice. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people in the DFP community who can offer advice on where your DD can improve her mechanics.

The Varsity coach most likely has the travel ball girls playing Varsity because those are the most skilled players. My DD (15yo, sophomore) has been playing TB for 5 years. We've seen a lot of very good ball players from Cen Cal.

Based on your location, "normal speed" is going to be along the lines of what I described in my post above.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I found some examples of what HS ball can look like. This was from my DD's freshman season last year.

#1 team (white - all TB players) vs. #6 team (black - 3 TB players) - top pitcher in the league

Same game, bottom of the same inning - #3 pitcher for the #6 team

Apr 28, 2019

Apr 28, 2019

Hitting is certainly not the most difficult skill to learn in softball. Pitching is the most difficult skill and most important. Hitting would be 2nd. If you don’t have good pitching you have nothing.
There’s a reason the old adage is good pitching beats good hitting not vice versa.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hitting is certainly not the most difficult skill to learn in softball. Pitching is the most difficult skill and most important. Hitting would be 2nd. If you don’t have good pitching you have nothing.
There’s a reason the old adage is good pitching beats good hitting not vice versa.

I would say hitting vs. pitching is a debatable point, but in this case, it's irrelevant. The OP indicated that she is a former IF, not a pitcher. For her, the most difficult skill in the game - to do well with at this age/level - will be hitting.

Apr 28, 2019
I would say hitting vs. pitching is a debatable point, but in this case, it's irrelevant. The OP indicated that she is a former IF, not a pitcher. For her, the most difficult skill in the game - to do well with at this age/level - will be hitting.
You could debate until the end of time but anybody who knows the game of baseball/softball knows pitching is the most important skill period.
Why do you think perfect games and no hitters are celebrated the way they are? Because they are real hard to pull off especially at the top levels.
If you have a hitter go 4 for 4 in a game it’s a good game but not history making right?
My point being it’s a given that it’s big news for pitchers to be perfect and nice but no where near the recognition/hype/glory when a hitter is perfect.
Why is that? It takes a whole different level to be a successful pitcher. The time, dedication, sacrifice, expense far exceeds any other position.
I concur with your advice to the poster. I took exception to your claim that hitting was the most important skill in the game. Any way you slice it pitching is top priority. Hitting is hard and comes in at #2. The truth is always relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28