Where is the strike zone?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t care as long it is consistent for both teams. If your hitters/pitchers cannot adjust 🤷🏽‍♂️

Parents worry entirely too much about such things ..(don’t worry I obsess about other things which are worse..)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
I don’t care as long it is consistent for both teams. If your hitters/pitchers cannot adjust 🤷🏽‍♂️

Parents worry entirely too much about such things ..(don’t worry I obsess about other things which are worse..)
During my break yesterday I observed a game for another ump. His strike zone was generous at the top of the zone, but nothing crazy, and the same all game.

the bottom of the last inning, with time expired, down 3 runs, the second out Ks on a high strike looking, and the head coach (who had been silent all game) exploded with “All game blue! All game you’ve been KILLING us with that. This is horrible!!!!”

We laughed. Bro, yes, all game…have the girls adjust.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
During my break yesterday I observed a game for another ump. His strike zone was generous at the top of the zone, but nothing crazy, and the same all game.

the bottom of the last inning, with time expired, down 3 runs, the second out Ks on a high strike looking, and the head coach (who had been silent all game) exploded with “All game blue! All game you’ve been KILLING us with that. This is horrible!!!!”

We laughed. Bro, yes, all game…have the girls adjust.

And if you DO think it's high "all game," you need to as a coach find a way to express that thought in a way that won't get you tossed. Never underestimate the power of influence. Umps are human (that's the rumor, anyway). Hearing that you may have missed one high a few times could get you thinking a bit about the borderline pitches. And while it might not be intentional, I'd bet sometimes umps would just not call it because they're tired of hearing the chirping. On the other hand, some would go the other way and give that team nothing close, so you have to be careful.

Jun 8, 2016
And if you DO think it's high "all game," you need to as a coach find a way to express that thought in a way that won't get you tossed. Never underestimate the power of influence. Umps are human (that's the rumor, anyway). Hearing that you may have missed one high a few times could get you thinking a bit about the borderline pitches. And while it might not be intentional, I'd bet sometimes umps would just not call it because they're tired of hearing the chirping. On the other hand, some would go the other way and give that team nothing close, so you have to be careful.
Coaches sure..parents need to stfu about it.

May 27, 2022
Another umpires take...

His comments:
October 1, 2022 Yes, by rule book definition this was a strike. Watching it back on video I feel it was a good JV strike, but if I were to call this in a Varsity game, then my games would be long, confrontational, and filled with angst. ;-) Make it a great game! Michael Leavitt - Orem, Utah

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Another umpires take...

His comments:
October 1, 2022 Yes, by rule book definition this was a strike. Watching it back on video I feel it was a good JV strike, but if I were to call this in a Varsity game, then my games would be long, confrontational, and filled with angst. ;-) Make it a great game! Michael Leavitt - Orem, Utah

Yeah, it was a bit high. But it was also down the middle and slow and had no spin on it. I teach my girls with 2 strikes you gotta swing at that one.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yeah, it was a bit high. But it was also down the middle and slow and had no spin on it. I teach my girls with 2 strikes you gotta swing at that one.
I don't think it was high at all. Hard to be sure because of the angle, but this screenshot looks like the moment right before the ball gets to the batter, and it's already only letters high.

That's a strike everywhere but NCAA, and it should be. That is a good high strike.

1665548074805.png

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think it was high at all. Hard to be sure because of the angle, but this screenshot looks like the moment right before the ball gets to the batter, and it's already only letters high.

That's a strike everywhere but NCAA, and it should be. That is a good high strike.

View attachment 26690

Yeah, what I mean is I wouldn't be bitching at that being called a strike.

My DD and her teammates have all been called out on strikes they or their parents didn't think are strikes. It happens, it's part of the game. And like this pitch, many times the umps actually aren't blind or biased or stupid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28