Where does your pitcher set up on the rubber?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Does your pitcher put her drive foot right in the middle of the rubber?

Does she position her body over the center of the rubber, thus having her drive foot to the one side?

Does it change based on the pitch?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Too some extent it depends on the holes in the ground, she will setup to avoid them if she can.

If there is a trench in front of pitching plate she will setup in the middle of it and contribute to it a little bit.

Clean ground right foot is in middle of plate so body offset left a little bit.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a hitter i would take note of where the pitcher sets up.
Some make an adjustment pending the next pitch.

Notice certain pitchers will scooch over to avoid the grand canyon in front of them, or issues where they land. Usually stay there for the game tho when the field is bad.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
It depends like other said on the hole, but usually start in the center. If they are pitching to far to one side, I'll say "make a small adjustment" ie throw the same pitch, slide over a touch.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
We had thrown with drive foot on the powerline. Since we started throwing screwball (I know, I know), we have shifted to about the outer quarter of the pitching plate to avoid getting called illegal when she steps out for the screwball. We throw all her pitches out of the same foot positioning so that we do not tip the batter.

Aug 20, 2017
We had thrown with drive foot on the powerline. Since we started throwing screwball (I know, I know), we have shifted to about the outer quarter of the pitching plate to avoid getting called illegal when she steps out for the screwball. We throw all her pitches out of the same foot positioning so that we do not tip the batter.
Y’all got monkey butt yet?

Aug 21, 2008
Wherever you choose to pitch from, make sure it doesn't change pitch to pitch or anyone who isn't beating waterbottles and singing in the dugout will notice. I swear, if girls put 1/100th of the time into just watching the pitcher as they do the chants and cheers, they'd see their batting averages double and triple fast because of how poorly many pitchers are trained (or not trained) in deception. Quite frankly, it's sad and it's criminal someone is taking money for that. I'm not saying everyone has to be harder to pick than a broken nose.... just don't make it freaking obvious. And many many many do just that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802