Where do we start? Still working

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
DD is 12. Working towards playing middle school ball at moment. Lost rec ball last year. Not that there are many balls to swing at our rec level. Been working hard at the rest of her game but between weather and space and me not being a very good hitting coach, we are behind in our hitting. All advice appreciated.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Second video is a better swing. That said, I would take the ground up approach with her. Start with her lower half. Work on her forward by coil, weight transfer and the drive against her front side resistance. Then move to her upper half and work on hand separation, hand load, bat tip, bat load, rocking the "U", building a corner and turning the barrel behind it thus building bat speed and getting the barrel on the correct bat path versus having it wrap around her neck causing severe bat drag and blocking her from hitting and inside low ball unless she "turns on it'" which usually goes foul more often than not.

Apr 30, 2018
Second video is a better swing. That said, I would take the ground up approach with her. Start with her lower half. Work on her forward by coil, weight transfer and the drive against her front side resistance. Then move to her upper half and work on hand separation, hand load, bat tip, bat load, rocking the "U", building a corner and turning the barrel behind it thus building bat speed and getting the barrel on the correct bat path versus having it wrap around her neck causing severe bat drag and blocking her from hitting and inside low ball unless she "turns on it'" which usually goes foul more often than not.

thanks. I have been trying to learn more in order to help her After reading this I realize I still don’t know anything.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
thanks. I have been trying to learn more in order to help her After reading this I realize I still don’t know anything.
Start here and work your way through. (1) Coiling | Discuss Fastpitch Softball Community
There are plenty of threads discussing what I'm talking about. Just enter the search parameters in the box up top. Use the Hanson Principle and make sure it works for you before introducing it to your DD. Just my thoughts. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The coil is the result. Not the action. It’s like trying to push your hands away from you to walk away from your hands. Both big bad mistakes.

the glutes coil you forward. Not the hips. If you load in the transverse plane you will unload the same way. Then you will have to fix it again.

op, think in terms of getting a load vertically. Not back and forth or by rotation. That should take her active hand load away and maybe keep her taller.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Have her watch this clip

giphy.gif

Have her watch the lowerbody first.

Heck I need to watch this clip!

Aug 20, 2017
Work on getting her in a good launch position for no stride. Similar to Pujols. Make sure back knee is inside back foot and it stays there. Get shoulders angled to work down hill. Pick front heel up to initiate and think hit with legs. Rock and roll

Oct 16, 2014
The coil is the result. Not the action. It’s like trying to push your hands away from you to walk away from your hands. Both big bad mistakes.

the glutes coil you forward. Not the hips. If you load in the transverse plane you will unload the same way. Then you will have to fix it again.

op, think in terms of getting a load vertically. Not back and forth or by rotation. That should take her active hand load away and maybe keep her taller.
WW-I get what you are saying about avoiding loading in the transverse plane (ABAF movement), but what do you mean about " a load vertically"? What is the feel of loading vertically?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101