Where do we start? Still working

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Very Rotational and still stands up in the swing. For some reason the bat looks too heavy for her.

Upon start of swing the front shoulder should go back and up while the back shoulder goes down and forward and finish the swing high. PIc 1 - load Pic 2 - notice the shoulder movements as the bat enters the strike zone early (palm up/palm down) Pic 3- full extension as the bat exits the zone later . Notice shoulder tilt. Pic 4 finish high.

In a rotational swing the shoulders remain level all through the swing (no tilt). The bat enters the strike zone later and exits earlier leaving much less time to hit the pitch.

1614869103102.png1614869169925.png1614869626898.png1614869364572.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Rome wasn’t built in a day, but think we made some progress.

its better. Still getting energy from the hands and not the legs and body. She likes to start back so do so. Weight, hands.. be back w a bit of weight on the front toe.. like a 90 back foot and 10 front foot feel. have her match her shin angle to her spine angle in her stance. Hands should be closer to the back shoulder. This stance should push the posterior out a bit.

for now, be a stickler about set up. It will enable better swings.

set up a ball w the seams vertical on both sides on a tee, middle in and ask her to hit the inside seam. It should go Lcf to Cf. Work on that for 200-300 reps and then we can add more to it.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018

I’m not the best camera operator. Missed her best ones. Second wasn’t her hardest hit or best swing but it was top of fence and definitely her biggest carry. And I love her excitement. Not been an easy last couple of weeks. She has worked hard on everything though. School. Her softball. Her workouts outside of practice. She may not be as far along as some but proud of her.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I’m not the best camera operator. Missed her best ones. Second wasn’t her hardest hit or best swing but it was top of fence and definitely her biggest carry. And I love her excitement. Not been an easy last couple of weeks. She has worked hard on everything though. School. Her softball. Her workouts outside of practice. She may not be as far along as some but proud of her.

its better. Very front side dominant. Close her stance so her front foot is facing the second basemen or close to it. Follow the same instruction as before. Nothing extra. Let her whack away. Post it. Like this guys stance.

1615475613601.gif

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Very Rotational and still stands up in the swing. For some reason the bat looks too heavy for her.

Upon start of swing the front shoulder should go back and up while the back shoulder goes down and forward and finish the swing high. PIc 1 - load Pic 2 - notice the shoulder movements as the bat enters the strike zone early (palm up/palm down) Pic 3- full extension as the bat exits the zone later . Notice shoulder tilt. Pic 4 finish high.

In a rotational swing the shoulders remain level all through the swing (no tilt). The bat enters the strike zone later and exits earlier leaving much less time to hit the pitch.

View attachment 21221View attachment 21223View attachment 21225View attachment 21224
The reason it is rotational is because she stands up in the swing. So it one problem not two. Just trying to simplify it. Keep her spine angle and hip flexion thru out the swing. The hip extension will come naturally.

May 16, 2019
Don't mean to cherry pick and sorry if it was mentioned before. The point of contact with the tee is at the far end of her range. Maybe moving it behind her front foot might keep her weight from going forward too much. I do see progress. I saw a drill where players from Japan were hitting off a tee but starting by sitting on a bucket and moving to their launch and swing. I'll look for the you tube video to better explain it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

IMO, i see a gate swing. Which my definition is the hitter looks like a fence gate opening/closing. The hitter is posted up on the front leg and allows the right side of the body to swing around that post. Her hands and arms start and stay casted out though it seems like they are trying to 'turn the barrel' down and thru, all that is doing is allowing a barrel dump down and having the hitter try and pull it back up to contact.

i mention these things because my DD when through all the same stuff. she is not ideal, but i recognize the issues.

Once we realized the swing wasn't about swinging 'around' the body as fast as you can, my DD realized that she needed to get into a good position to launch as explosive as she could, but only do it for a fraction of the time (think 45 degree blast from start) which helped her not swing 'around'. In a generalized sense, this 'initial blast' powers the swing to get the barrel moving, then the hands release from the shoulder to take the lagged barrel to the ball and whip thru contact.

I would look up some ISO hitting and some of the Ron Sullivan stuff for a good introductory of the swing. Are they perfect, probably not, but it will at least get your hitter thinking in terms of the explosive launch and not how fast she can get 'around' on a swing.

Just my 2 cents, and me coming from slow pitch, i was an around swinger, not what i described above, which really didn't translate to me being able to help my DD much. The above concept helped.

After you get that i think alot of the other body and sequence things start to fall into place.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Fighting a cold but still wanted to hit. Not her best but maybe best representation of where we were at.

It is better. she opens to swing. There are a number of things you can try to get her straighter. Fence drill. Back arm drill. Ryan Braun drill. Barry/Yelich drill. Barry double load drill.

try the Barry double load drill. With an outside tee location. Always aiming for inside seam. The goal is line drives at the second basemen. I explained the execution here.

1616369494214.gif

Any questions. Ask. Better than doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802