Where can I buy the Book?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Someone please tell me where I can find a copy of the book that says when you get a runner on first you have to bunt her over to second. I have been searching online, especially Amazon.com, but they don't seem to have it.

I'm assuming there is a book. Every coach I've been watching lately seems to do it automatically. Doesn't matter what the score is, what inning it is, or whether there are no outs or one out. They can't all be coming to that same conclusion by themselves. There has to be a book that has this requirement in there.

Or could it be they simply don't have any other ideas. Here's a suggestion. Let the kids hit now and then. Fake bunt and slap. Fake a slap and steal the base. You increase your chances of scoring a runner from second if you don't make an out to get her there. It gives you an extra out for something good to happen.

I'm just sayin'.

More...

May 12, 2008
LOL Indeed. Those who run the numbers on such things in baseball say the likelihood of scoring one run goes up slightly with a runner on second with one out versus a runner on first with no outs. But, the likelihood of scoring more than one run drops way off. How this translates to fp I couldn't say but I don't like bunting the runner over unless I think it's going to be a 1-0 game. Even then I don't like it much unless the pitcher has been dominating us.

Dec 28, 2008
I agree 100% I think the play is situational in nature, but ends up being used all of the time. I think a lot has to do with the coach being afraid not to produce something. "Parents can't fault me for trying to bunt the runner over and get her in scoring position because that play is by-the-book" but "If I try to let this girl (227 hitter) swing away parents will yell at me if she wiffs and the leadoff is still stranded on first."

I do have a copy of that book, as well as some land in Florida that is just slightly wet if you are interested in purchasing them as a package deal.

Feb 8, 2009
Bunting has value when used properly. I don't claim to be an expert on offensive strategy,but I know I wouldn't have my 4 hitter bunt with 2 runners in scoring position. (Yes, it did actually happen).

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree with all of you. there is a time to bunt, and a time to do something else. Automatically bunting, especially in today's game, is often just giving away outs.

Jan 15, 2009
I would guess you would find the book in the section next to the best seller, "If I had a nickel for every time I didn't bunt a runner over with no outs and later regretted it I wouldn't be writing this book." by Usetobe A. Coach:)

It's probably psycological with experienced coaches, you might dread the lost opportunity of not moving the runner over twice as much as you celebrate not bunting and getting the runner moved over anyway. Yes it should be situational but we all fall into patterns over time. In my experience the important tight games are lost 1 to 0 or 3 to 2, not 10 to 8.

May 12, 2008
Less so than it used to be I think. More good swings in fp than there used to be. A dominating pitcher is still a dominating pitcher but there are still more lousy swings than there are good swings in fp even with the improvement over the last ten years.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I have the book and have read it. Since that was a while ago, I guess I don't remember it as well as I thought! I was sure it said to "FAKE" bunt and send the runner for a steal! Of course that's situational as well (slow runners make easy targets, etc...). :D

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is such a stat-driven game. I'd love to see the stats on sac bunts that result in a run v. sac bunts that do not result in a run. Based on what I've observed over the years, and especially recently, I'll bet the percentage is a lot lower than most coaches think. I do know there are stats that show the chances of scoring a runner from second with one out are 2% more than scoring from first with no outs. I'll try to remember to keep some unofficial stats of my own as I watch games on TV and around my area.

The sac bunt is one of many strategies you can use. But it seems to be the only arrow in the quiver for a lot of coaches, and quite frankly defenses are pretty attuned to it. Especially at the older levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28