Where can I buy the Book?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2008
Coach N Dad --

Why would you fake a bunt when stealing your runner to second base? That would just allow the shortstop to break even earlier to the bag...

May 12, 2008
Because the catcher can't move forward to the ball at all with the bat out there. I don't think the race is between the SS and the runner but rather the ball and the runner.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree that I have read the stats in baseball and I don't remember them even being as high as Mark remembers, concerning a player on second that then scores.

But at certain levels, with girls that can't throw very well, bunting is a good idea. I am not satisfied with bunting for an out. I want the girls to bunt for a single.

Maybe it is the difference between the 60 foot bases and 90 feet. Or maybe it is the difference in skill levels.

U of Az. doesn't seem to be running their short game too often, they are just depositing the ball over the fence.

I do see teams that aren't bunting at all, too.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree that I have read the stats in baseball and I don't remember them even being as high as Mark remembers, concerning a player on second that then scores.

But at certain levels, with girls that can't throw very well, bunting is a good idea. I am not satisfied with bunting for an out. I want the girls to bunt for a single.

Maybe it is the difference between the 60 foot bases and 90 feet. Or maybe it is the difference in skill levels.

U of Az. doesn't seem to be running their short game too often, they are just depositing the ball over the fence.

I do see teams that aren't bunting at all, too.

Not at our locals high schools, I can tell you that! It's runner on first, then bunt. Even with one out.

Dec 3, 2008
I would rather my batter stand farther back in the box and swing & miss on purpose. That would keep the catcher from coming forward and hold the shortstop at her position longer.

May 12, 2008
Actually, I did read Moneyball a few years ago. An interesting philosophy, driven by stats. Of course, even Billy Beane says once you get to the playoffs, all bets are off!

Only because the sample size was too small. Flip a coin a million times you will get heads half the time. Flip a coin a handful of times and even though the odds are the same it wouldn't be unusual to have different results because of the small sample size.

May 12, 2008
I would rather my batter stand farther back in the box and swing & miss on purpose. That would keep the catcher from coming forward and hold the shortstop at her position longer.

Yeah. Especially if everyone knows she is going and your hitter can handle starting 0-1. Move to the back of the box. That's quite a bit more flight distance for the ball times two.

May 12, 2008

Everyone adjusted from the days when they ran a bunch of slappers at you. The girls with the speed to pure slap against today's defenses don't come along on every bus.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse