When your DD throws a new pitch correctly for the first time!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Would love to hear your stories about this!

Last night, dd's coach was working with her on throwing a screw, of course I wasn't expecting much since it was her very first time trying to throw it and she wasn't getting the spin correctly. Well, all of a sudden, she threw one just right - it looked like it was coming right at me and then all of a sudden, right at the plate just curved inside. Of course, that was the only one she threw during the lesson like that, but boy, it sure was really cool to see when she threw it correctly!

Yes, shameless brag and all - but it was fun to see the movement!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Nothing wrong with a "shameless brag" about your DD.

For some reason, I don't feel motivated to teach the screwball. I guess I feel there is a greater return associates with sharpening a pitcher's mechanics and improving their other 3 pitches.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Nothing wrong with a "shameless brag" about your DD.

For some reason, I don't feel motivated to teach the screwball. I guess I feel there is a greater return associates with sharpening a pitcher's mechanics and improving their other 3 pitches.

The screw is like the knuckleball in BB. Lots say they can throw it, few can make it dance. In my short SB time, I've only seen a couple RHP's at the older ages who could use it effectively. A LHP it's almost a must, gotta have something moving away from a RHB.

Just my 2 cents.

May 27, 2013
Yep, she's done very well all winter with sharpening her other pitches and hitting her spots. This pitch won't be "game-ready" for several months - year, minimally. It was more like a motivator for her putting in a lot of work and doing very well all winter long.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Would love to hear your stories about this!

Last night, dd's coach was working with her on throwing a screw, of course I wasn't expecting much since it was her very first time trying to throw it and she wasn't getting the spin correctly. Well, all of a sudden, she threw one just right - it looked like it was coming right at me and then all of a sudden, right at the plate just curved inside. Of course, that was the only one she threw during the lesson like that, but boy, it sure was really cool to see when she threw it correctly!

Yes, shameless brag and all - but it was fun to see the movement!

You mean like the drop curve that cracked me on the left ankle

Aug 18, 2013
My DD threw me a curve without knowing it. Made me fall over because it broke so much. I asked if she knew what she did and she said "No" with a smile on her face. I asked her if she saw the tape and she said "Yes". It was parallel to the ground. Still have not duplicated that moment.

May 27, 2013
Dial - yes, I almost fell off the bucket because it just caught me completely off-guard. I'm sure I won't see another pitch like that from her for a long time.

Sep 10, 2013
DD was very proud when she thru her curve without her PC teaching her how to do it. she was proud, and so was dear dad, and I still wear shin guards :) to protect on those errant ones and when she starts her curve-drop :)

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
sometimes progress can come in leaps. dd has been working on locations and change and has in the last 2 practices gone from 80%+ bulletspin to 90%+ drop spin. she is not sure how but can see the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom