When your DD isn't good enough to pitch on A level team, but will be needed for school ball, do you keep paying for lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
My DD used to be #2 pitchers two seasons ago with a previous team. This past season she took a spot on an A level team. The team was honest with us and told us, our DD wouldn't be getting much pitching time, since the team already had a lot of pitchers on the team. Now that she has gone a season without pitching much, she feels like she should give it up. She opted to play travel ball instead of 7th grade school ball last year, but will be playing 8th grade in the spring. She will be needed in 8th grade school ball and we found out that she will likely be needed at the High School level as well. Her top speed so far is 52MPH. She has had a pitching coach for 2 years. Is it common to pay for weekly pitching lessons if your DD is only pitching for school ball?

Oct 4, 2018
Does she want to pitch in High School? Does the family budget afford lessons?

On one hand, it's a clean break to stop and focus on other aspects of the game.

On the other hand, it's an opportunity for mound time, if that makes her happy. And of course she might want to be on a different travel team (B perhaps but not necessarily) to get more mound time.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Does she want to pitch in High School? Does the family budget afford lessons?

On one hand, it's a clean break to stop and focus on other aspects of the game.

On the other hand, it's an opportunity for mound time, if that makes her happy. And of course she might want to be on a different travel team (B perhaps but not necessarily) to get more mound time.
It has been in our budget for two years, so we are okay with it financially. In the past we were doing it for travel team purposes and not for school related purposes. Our DD used to love to pitch, but the more she is away from it, I think she is losing her love for it. Maybe it will come back when she pitches in the spring.

I agree with what you are saying about the opportunity to take a clean break, but I also think about the money and time we have invested over the last two years and hate to give all that up,

She loves playing at the level she is at. She has no desire to go back to the B/C level.

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting... tough call.

I suppose you give it a season of High School ball. Take lessons, have her pitch. Decide after the season. That's only a few months, yes?

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Interesting... tough call.

I suppose you give it a season of High School ball. Take lessons, have her pitch. Decide after the season. That's only a few months, yes?
She is going into 8th grade and softball is a spring sport. She goes to lessons once a week and my husband works with her a couple of times a week as well. We have a while before we get to High School ball.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
What does your daughter want to do?
If you don't take picthing lessons, what would you do with the free time and extra cash that used to be used on pitching lessons?

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
What does your daughter want to do?
If you don't take picthing lessons, what would you do with the free time and extra cash that used to be used on pitching lessons?
DD is unsure of what she wants to do. She is starting weekly hitting lessons this week, so money will be used for those lessons and upgrading her bat. She used to see a hitting coach about once a month, but her travel coach wants her to take weekly lessons now.

Mar 28, 2014
My DD used to be #2 pitchers two seasons ago with a previous team. This past season she took a spot on an A level team. The team was honest with us and told us, our DD wouldn't be getting much pitching time, since the team already had a lot of pitchers on the team. Now that she has gone a season without pitching much, she feels like she should give it up. She opted to play travel ball instead of 7th grade school ball last year, but will be playing 8th grade in the spring. She will be needed in 8th grade school ball and we found out that she will likely be needed at the High School level as well. Her top speed so far is 52MPH. She has had a pitching coach for 2 years. Is it common to pay for weekly pitching lessons if your DD is only pitching for school ball?
I would suggest a compromise. Do lessons every 2 weeks instead of weekly. Personally don't see the need for weekly lessons once the basics are down. After that it is just refining things and you can accomplish that with bi-weekly lessons.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28