When will travel ball start back up? Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your best guess for when travel ball will start back up?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • June

Votes: 63 32.1%
  • July

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Fall ball

Votes: 59 30.1%
  • Next year

Votes: 22 11.2%

• Total voters
Feb 20, 2020
I don't want to derail anything, but looking at the current models, I think there's a good chance we're on significant downturn at the end on April in a lot of the country.

You can click on your state and get an idea of what they are projecting. That's the modeling the government is using.

They've closed down schools here for the rest of the year, so I can't see a way they allow softball if school's been cancelled. But I do think that June is starting to look possible here in Colorado, and I wouldn't have thought that a week ago.

Oct 3, 2019
Thought you were speaking to the states roll out on this.
Who has immunity.
The positive tests with no symptoms are not immune. Thats why they test positive.
Symptoms occur when bodies defense to it are stronger or weaker. Then build resistance.
Plasma research should provide answers.
Those who have had the virus already and have been over it for some time, should be immune and show antibodies. From what I understand, some people have such a mild form of the virus that they may not have even known they had it. Might have thought it was just a cold when actually, it was Covid. An antibody test might reveal this. Evidently there are a few that are ready to be released for use.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I think pro sports will be the bellwether for youth sports. Once the pros start back, youth sports start back. Not anticipating any summer pro sports.

I am hoping that youth sports are not in the same boat as professional sports in terms of start up dates.

In professional sports, you have 20,000 - 100,000 fans in attendance in a relatively small area. All the people are at the event at the same time.

In most youth sports tournaments you might have 2,000 - 3,000 players and fans in total (50 teams with roughly 50 players and fans per team). In this case, the people are spread out in multiple quads of fields and not all the teams will be at the complex at once. Normal size local tournaments might not be terrible if the Coronavirus is not running rampant in your area.

Now I could see an issue with the enormous tournaments that bring in teams from all over the country. Some of these tournaments bring in over 1,000 teams from all over the country. I could see the residents of these communities where the mega tournaments are being held not very happy about 50,000 people or more coming to their area.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking that we will get some kind of season this summer.

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, would really enjoy getting some softball in this summer. I think that really depends on how treatment improves, the improvenent in the medical supply and second wave infection rates projections.

What will the Feds and state governments recommend?

May 16, 2016
In most youth sports tournaments you might have 2,000 - 3,000 players and fans in total (50 teams with roughly 50 players and fans per team). In this case, the people are spread out in multiple quads of fields and not all the teams will be at the complex at once. Normal size local tournaments might not be terrible if the Coronavirus is not running rampant in your area.

It doesn't sound bad, until you realized those 2000 people will all be using the same bathrooms. Our home park has 1 central bathroom for 5 softball fields and six baseball fields. One infectious person could infect a lot of people. Tournaments are going to have to address this... I don't know... maybe I will buy an RV, and bring my own bathroom.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
It doesn't sound bad, until you realized those 2000 people will all be using the same bathrooms. Our home park has 1 central bathroom for 5 softball fields and six baseball fields. One infectious person could infect a lot of people. Tournaments are going to have to address this... I don't know... maybe I will buy an RV, and bring my own bathroom.

Puts a whole new spin on BYOB...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
The virus is going to be around I doubt it gets totally eradicated for a while, if ever. Likewise I doubt there will be a vaccine in less than 2 years.

Hence the question then becomes one of assessing the probability of infection, based upon known cases in a certain area (with a safety factor put on there as it will be impossible to know exactly the number of infected subjects) and, this is probably the biggest one, probability of death. In reality at some point probability of infection will get down to the level of the flu, as while the virus does appear to spread faster than the flu, the number of cases will likely be much lower after all this. Kids play all kinds of ball during flu season. The probability of death if infected (and yes I understand the overall probability of death is a combination of the two numbers), however, will not get to the level of the flu until we can find treatment options which work..

If somebody can give me some estimate on the probability of getting infected and on the probability of death if infected, for my DD and they tell me both are similar to the flu, then the analytical side of me will be able to overcome the fear that most everybody is feeling right now since we have been operating under these probabilities for years with the flu.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The virus is going to be around I doubt it gets totally eradicated for a while, if ever. Likewise I doubt there will be a vaccine in less than 2 years.

Hence the question then becomes one of assessing the probability of infection, based upon known cases in a certain area (with a safety factor put on there as it will be impossible to know exactly the number of infected subjects) and, this is probably the biggest one, probability of death. In reality at some point probability of infection will get down to the level of the flu, as while the virus does appear to spread faster than the flu, the number of cases will likely be much lower after all this. Kids play all kinds of ball during flu season. The probability of death if infected (and yes I understand the overall probability of death is a combination of the two numbers), however will not get to the level of the flu until we can find treatment options which work..

If somebody can give me some estimate on the probability of getting infected and on the probability of death if infected, for my DD and they tell me both are similar to the flu, then the analytical side of me will be able to overcome the fear that most everybody is feeling right now since we have been operating under these probabilities for years.
Wow :) did you wake up on the reasonable side of the bed today?!!! Nice !!!;)

May 29, 2015

Hence the question then becomes one of assessing the probability of infection, based upon known cases in a certain area (with a safety factor put on there as it will be impossible to know exactly the number of infected subjects) and, this is probably the biggest one, probability of death. In reality at some point probability of infection will get down to the level of the flu, as while the virus does appear to spread faster than the flu, the number of cases will likely be much lower after all this. Kids play all kinds of ball during flu season. The probability of death if infected (and yes I understand the overall probability of death is a combination of the two numbers), however, will not get to the level of the flu until we can find treatment options which work..

If somebody can give me some estimate on the probability of getting infected and on the probability of death if infected, for my DD and they tell me both are similar to the flu, then the analytical side of me will be able to overcome the fear that most everybody is feeling right now since we have been operating under these probabilities for years with the flu.

Was going to add something to correct some of this, but I couldn't figure out how to work a yellow ball into it. Never mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802