When will travel ball start back up? Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your best guess for when travel ball will start back up?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • June

Votes: 63 32.1%
  • July

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Fall ball

Votes: 59 30.1%
  • Next year

Votes: 22 11.2%

• Total voters
May 17, 2012
without at least occasional body contact and approaching within 6 feet.

The 6ft thing is a running joke. As I recall that was based on 1930's research and it's nowhere big enough. If I recall the spray patterns for coughing/sneezing was 25-30ft.

It's great that everyone is social distancing at "6ft" but lets be clear that isn't some magical number.

Aug 25, 2019
The 6ft thing is a running joke. As I recall that was based on 1930's research and it's nowhere big enough. If I recall the spray patterns for coughing/sneezing was 25-30ft.

It's great that everyone is social distancing at "6ft" but lets be clear that isn't some magical number.
6 feet is a guide line to interacting with people who are not sick and sneezing/coughing. If you're sick, stay home.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I recall a European health agency saying 8 meters which is right in there. I am expanding my usual 21 foot rule. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Supposedly this was the modeling that made Trump up the Federal guideline to April 30. The data shown is only for resource usage, deaths per day and total deaths but resource usage can probably be used to give some idea of where they think (based upon the current data) your state will be in terms of the amount of virus present over a period of time.

Edit:
"The model, for example, assumes that officials will limit social contact through May: closing schools, enacting stay-at-home measures, and limiting travel and non-essential business. For states that don't implement at least three of the four measures, the model's estimates for hospital usage and deaths will go up."
When you drill down into the data it appears that an expected date for a return to normal varies significantly from state to state. If this model is close to correct the economy in the State of Florida is totally hosed.

Jun 8, 2016
When you drill down into the data it appears that an expected date for a return to normal varies significantly from state to state.
Yes, that was one of the takeaways I got as well and that has been communicated previously by the scientists. As a person who does computational modeling (not for this obviously) as part of his research, I would hate to wish that a model gives bad predictions but lets hope this one (along with several others which actually have worse predictions) does and it is overpredicting...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
Impossible to say. I believe there are far more cases of infected persons than is being reported.
Due to late start getting serious about virus the situation will get worse before it gets better.
If people smarten-up and keep to themselves we should be able to beat this thing by early Summer. I don’t see that happening unfortunately.
I believe at this point this season will be a total loss. Hopefully there will be some sort of medical breakthrough that lessens the effects or best case scenario a vaccine is developed soon.
The weird thing is, there are many who are infected who don't know it because their symptoms are absent or mild but are contagious. There are also some, maybe many, who are walking around with immunity, in theory, because they have already had the virus. It would be good to know who's immune. That's a test we need as well. The corona test, if positive, just means they send you home to quarantine, something many of us from the saner states, are already doing anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802