When will travel ball start back up? Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

What is your best guess for when travel ball will start back up?

• April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • June

Votes: 63 32.1%
  • July

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Fall ball

Votes: 59 30.1%
  • Next year

Votes: 22 11.2%

• Total voters
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Would like to know if schools will offer SAT and ACT testing.
That is a neccessary recruitment tool.
Even if schools dont re-open and stay online.

:) Can they please make an announcement on that by the end of this month? maybe we'll know in april ?
Not ACT or SAT testing (we're done with that in my house) but along the same lines both my DD's have been taking AP courses and they just came out with an announcement about those tests. Some AP Art and design classes and grades will be handles differently (based on the portfolio of work).

For the 2019-20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online exam at home.
Each AP subject will have two different testing dates so students can choose when they want to take the exam.
The exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers already covered in class by early March.
The exam questions are designed in ways that prevent cheating. We use a range of digital security tools and techniques, including plagiarism detection software, to protect the integrity of the exams.
Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.

Jun 8, 2016
Not ACT or SAT testing (we're done with that in my house) but along the same lines both my DD's have been taking AP courses and they just came out with an announcement about those tests. Some AP Art and design classes and grades will be handles differently (based on the portfolio of work).

For the 2019-20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online exam at home.
Each AP subject will have two different testing dates so students can choose when they want to take the exam.
The exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers already covered in class by early March.
The exam questions are designed in ways that prevent cheating. We use a range of digital security tools and techniques, including plagiarism detection software, to protect the integrity of the exams.
Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.

Not really on topic, but if your DD is going to a school where you don't pay by credit hour,unless you have enough AP credits to graduate a semester early, it is sometimes worth thinking about not even using the AP credits. First first few semesters are tough enough (especially with ball) that sometimes taking a few courses which you already know the material can ease the pain a bit..I did that with calculus and physics

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Not really on topic, but if your DD is going to a school where you don't pay by credit hour,unless you have enough AP credits to graduate a semester early, it is sometimes worth thinking about not even using the AP credits. First first few semesters are tough enough (especially with ball) that sometimes taking a few courses which you already know the material can ease the pain a bit..I did that with calculus and physics
I see the wisdom in your ways and I'll talk with them both about that. The way the AP credits work are a bit wonky all the way around.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I see the wisdom in your ways and I'll talk with them both about that. The way the AP credits work are a bit wonky all the way around.
💁Wonky is a good description.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
20 years ago, I would have been able to skip Chemistry 101 my first year of college, but as that was my major, opted to take it instead (still got 3 credit hours thought some how from AP to apply towards credit total). now I did take my EU history AP credits and run, not taking history of western civ or equivalent. made it so when I dropped Calc III one semester, dropping down to 12 did not hurt my advancement towards degree really.

today, if you do not have some college credits when you begin, it almost seems you are behind. DD1 will have something like 18 college credits when she graduates HS (most in her for now field of study), she is taking as a HS course one online college course at local CC each semester. she gets both HS and college credit for these. HS district even pays for her book each semester (although I do have to go pick it up at the bookstore of the CC). online is really becoming a gamechanger (no pun) for higher education. not an option for all things (like hard sciences with laboratory requirements), but certainly a lot of brick and mortar colleges are going to have to start to make things more affordable for students, in order to compete. might even become an intelligence test for job applicants, how much online did you do (ie do you look to cut costs where possible, which is a critical skill in todays and the future economies).

Dec 11, 2010
It will be interesting to see what happens if they do decide to extend the high school season later, say into June (assuming things are back to semi-normal by then). It would definitely be a conflict with the travel season and could create tremendous friction between high school and travel ball - exponentially more than there may be right now. Players will be forced to choose. Some who elect to go with travel over high school could be punished for high school ball in 2021. In less-populated areas, some high school teams may not even have enough players left to put a team together if their players opt for travel.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Illinois specific comment: Ken it would sure help if IHSA would allow some Tb participation during the time period high school would have normally concluded.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
MN Governor just announced the 14 day stay at home order yesterday that starts tomorrow. Also closed schools until May 4th. Hopefully, this is the last of the suspensions and things can get back to normal after that.

Assuming this will push our TB start date back at least a week or two as we usually start games the first full week of May. There are several tournaments the first weekend of May too which I am sure are in a tough spot. Keep planning and hoping you are allowed to run or just call it and save the time/effort?

Fortunately, our association home tournament isn't until May 30/31 but who knows if that will even happen. We are waiting until mid-April to see what is happening then deciding whether to pull the plug or keep planning.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Illinois specific comment: Ken it would sure help if IHSA would allow some Tb participation during the time period high school would have normally concluded.

Yes it would, but they're probably afraid of setting a dangerous precedent for the future. They probably also realize that most of the best players would prioritize travel ball, so if the state tournament and a travel ball tournament conflicted you might not have the best teams competing for the title. It's the butterfly effect essentially.

Good news is the weather has been so crappy most of the games so far probably would have been cancelled anyway. I was out at a field last night for a bit just checking things out and the infield was total mud - the kind you sink in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478