When to start.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2016
DD is a 2023 looking at mainly D3, but also 2 or 3 D2 schools. All the schools are several States away. What should be doing now for the D3? What should she be doing for the D2’s? Is it the same?

Nov 5, 2014
DD is a 2023 looking at mainly D3, but also 2 or 3 D2 schools. All the schools are several States away. What should be doing now for the D3? What should she be doing for the D2’s? Is it the same?
If you can, I highly recommend attending camps at the schools your DD is interested in. One big advantage for D2&3 is they are not in an NCAA dead period like D1. Attending camps is IMO the best way to get on a coach's radar and also let your DD see the school and start to get a feel for what she likes.

Edited to add:

As for timing I would start as soon as possible. Some top D3's have finished their 2022 classes and have even committed a couple of 2023 kids but this varies greatly by school.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Agree with the above. The only thing is some D3 conferences are still not allowing their coaches to travel to showcases; nor are they allowing camps on campus. This is where video and regular email contact come into play.

Definitely not too early to start. DD’s D3 school reached out to her via phone the summer after her sophomore year.

Nov 5, 2014
Agree with the above. The only thing is some D3 conferences are still not allowing their coaches to travel to showcases; nor are they allowing camps on campus. This is where video and regular email contact come into play.

Definitely not too early to start. DD’s D3 school reached out to her via phone the summer after her sophomore year.
Vertigo makes a great point that I think applies to D3 recruiting in general. There is much more variation school to school and conference to conference at the D3 level in comparison to D1 as to what is allowed and being done as a standard practice. I would highly recommend you check the individual school of interest on their website as well as social media to get more info.

For example the NESCAC, an excellent academic conference that plays highly competitive softball, I don't believe is allowing on campus camps but I know a couple of players went to a Tufts camp this fall that they held on a field down the street. So they found a creative way to connect with recruits even though the conference has a restriction.

Sep 9, 2019
First off, congratulations for looking at D3. D1 does not fit into DD's long term goals. The tough part with D3 is knowing the financial commitment the school will make. Makes it hard to commit early unless you are wealthy. We are there now(2022, not wealthy)having taken the the ACT and established high academics. Agree with everything said here. List of willing schools was established by fall junior year but many wait, especially high academic, until they know all they need to know about the student part. Dont be discouraged by the lack of response for this reason. Keep emailing regularly with updates academically and athletic. You want as many choices as possible.

May 4, 2016
Thanks everyone for the advice. I know at the men’s and women’s final four there is also a coaches convention that most college coaches at all levels attend. Is the WCWS simila?

Jun 11, 2012
If she hasn’t yet you can make skills video to email to the coaches. Especially if the schools are not in your local area.

May 4, 2016
She knows no one on the roste, in fact none of the schools she is interested in even have a girl from the state of Missouri. Her current coach is a former D1 head coach and has offered to reach out to coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog