When to start MISSING the strikezone~

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) Here's my pitching target of the strike zone area.
20200607_092803-1.jpg
Pitchers have opposite strategies to learn.
In the beginning~
1. Figure out how to find the strike zone area.
2. Do #1 consistantly.
Then... This goal changes!!!
And becomes controlling
the ball not throwing directly into the strike zone area.

How about some feedback on~
*WHEN (is there an age?) & WHY to start MISSING the strike zone?!

May 9, 2019
Interesting post. I think the when is whenever you start playing at a level where strikes, even at the edge of the zone are getting pummeled. The why is answered by the when I think.

I just saw a video of Sierra Romero taking a ball over the fence, where the pitcher basically located it perfectly, down below the knees, might have not been called a strike. Felt really bad for the pitcher lol.

Obviously there aren't many hitters like Romero around, but at some point you gotta throw outside the zone to hope they chase.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
*WHEN (is there an age?) & WHY to start MISSING the strike zone?!

WHEN?

It is not age, it more a question of (1) maturity and (2) control

1) Pitchers must understand "the pitching game". She has to know "why" she is throwing outside the strike zone. The pitcher has to have a longer view of the pitcher vs. batter game other than just "me throw ball hard."

2) The pitcher has to have sufficient control so she can see the results. If the pitcher can't throw high and inside pitches, then the pitcher will end up in trouble trying to throw it there...and so will get frustrated.

WHY to start missing the strike zone?

As soon as the pitcher starts facing batters who know how to hit.

If a pitcher can't blow the pitch by the batter, the she has to start throwing pitches around the edges of the strike zone to keep the batter off balance.

@RADcatcher -- The rectangle with the red is fine for young pitchers. It is not helpful for advanced pitchers.

The ultimate goal is for the pitcher to be able to move the ball in three to four inch increments around the strike zone.

@NBECoach -- Old school. Backing them off the plate isn't what it used to be. Now days, the kids are wearing more body armor than the troops in Afghanistan. They don't jump away from a high inside fastball...they turn their head, take the pitch on their arm guard, and take first base.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If a pitcher can't blow the pitch by the batter, the she has to start throwing pitches around the edges of the strike zone to keep the batter off balance.

The ultimate goal is for the pitcher to be able to move the ball in three to four inch increments around the strike zone.
Theres some good tips 👆
@NBECoach nice and clean detail in that pitch chart!
Unlike my creative art of the pink & yellow rectangles ;) 🎉

Hope its ok to use a softball as a unit of measure! (inches)
Throw pitches 1 & 2 softballs out of the zone. And more if needed. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Made a couple of these. About 12 it looked like this. 14 the green was a sliver and the yellow was half this big. We only pitched to this during practice.

Attachments

• 3835ECA5-A2C6-42BA-A1B5-5A14B9A9F31B.jpeg
    3835ECA5-A2C6-42BA-A1B5-5A14B9A9F31B.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 24

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
-- Old school. Backing them off the plate isn't what it used to be. Now days, the kids are wearing more body armor than the troops in Afghanistan. They don't jump away from a high inside fastball...they turn their head, take the pitch on their arm guard, and take first base.

Yeah I am old school. Or am I just old?:LOL:
My alternative is change planes and speed to get them off your offerings.:unsure:
If that doesn't work .............well then that day they were the better team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2019
Pitching is all about keeping hitters off balance. Starting with working ahead. 75% of hitters don’t swing at the fist pitch.

As a pitcher develops location starts expanding the strike zone. Many are afraid to pitch inside, but I have found over the years that the majority of hitters don’t do it as well as one might think. Especially if you can work the outside with location and speed variation

As far as age, as soon as they can hit the strike zone with 70% (rough number), convert lesson work to the corners. That assuming mechanics are relatively sound.

Changing speeds remains the best way to keep hitters of balance Up and down gives you a much better chance of missing the bat than something moving right to left

The farther away from the eyes, the slow the pitch is perceived. The closer to the eyes the faster. Hard up and in and slower out and away maximize the effect

Pitch to the hitters weakness and situationally what you want to happen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812