When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
We use this in our local bush league. It is both wildly popular and unpopular at the same time. :) I suppose it really depends on the significance of the game and or the "rigidity" of the other team and/or event administration. Like all things in life, it is best to know your crowd.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
never.

Unless broadcast over a stadium PA system.
Or there are tapped kegs of beer in the dugouts.
etc.

I have been the bad guy more than once to tell a coach to turn off his/her team's portable boom box,
while they warm up right behind our dugout.

It seems fairly obvious to me that this is done in very poor taste with absolutely zero awareness of your surroundings.

call me a "curmudgeon", I don't care...

Aug 23, 2016
I love when people claim 'the girls love it' but 99% of the music is suspiciously from the parent's youth.

A few years ago when DD was in 8U there was a team that tried that nonsense. Because 8-year-old girls really love Metallica and G'n'R. (DD's coach: "Come on, man, if it was for the girls you'd be playing Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.")

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I could take it or leave it but I've yet to see many of the KIDS annoyed/bothered by it, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I think some of the music itself is dumb but it's not really about me, sooooo....

That said- I've never seen it past 12u so I'm not sure how older girls feel about it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When do you play the music? Well, you can do so when you get up. You can do so in the car on the way to the game. You can do so on the way home. Heck you can do so if you are away from the diamond and eating. During the game? NEVER!

BTW, I am an old school old guy so take that for what it is worth.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Not really a “thing” I’ve seen in our area...except one team we play (a lot) who takes the field to dropkick murphys “shipping up to Boston”, only in the first inning though. I actually think it’s kind of cool.

It’s obviously the coach’s music, but he gets a pass from me (we played legion together a hundred years ago).

Jun 8, 2016
Whenever the girls start chanting "Roll it in the dirt, Roll it in the dirt, Roooollllll it in the dirt" or the like ? I kid..kind of ;)

Jun 4, 2019
I’m not a big fan of the music, but this isn’t about me. It’s about the girls having fun. They are still playing a game after all, if it’s not fun, then why play? And most teen girls seem to like music.

I suggest some cool songs from back in the day, but no one ever takes my recommendations, lol.

Some teams take it too far. 1 team was playing 80s heavy metal all day, I doubt too many 12u girls were into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802