When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
I asked the following question about 5 years to the Texas state NFHS rule's interpreter concerning artificial noise makers. I hope this helps.

What are the rules for the use of noise makers within the dugout. I have seen and heard drum sticks beating on fence, roof, cans, ball drums, etc. Also stones in a water bottle, hands beating on fence and ceiling. Please explain the TASO and UIL noise rules from the dugout.

Thanks for the question. I know of nothing in the rule book that addresses this issue specifically. TASO does not delve into this area. UIL does not restrict noise making by the teams. Most all teams competing in the state championship tournament utilize noise makers. All of that being said, districts can establish their own rules addressing noise making and the use of noise makers which officials should enforce when officiating those district games. Absent that, there is no specific rule that an umpire can fall back on. My experience is that most teams use chanting and/or rhythmic noise which we allow. However, you should not allow teams to make sudden noises that would distract or startle a batter or pitcher. (Example. There is no noise being made, but when the pitcher is about to pitch or when the batter is about to swing, a sudden loud noise is made.) Additionally, I would not allow excessively loud noise makers, i.e. bullhorns or air horns....in the dugouts or in the stands. In these instances you can use Rule 3-6-13 c. which addresses unsporting acts or Rule 10.2.3 g. which allows the plate umpire to make decisions on points not covered by the rules. I hope this is helpful.

Aug 26, 2019
I asked the following question about 5 years to the Texas state NFHS rule's interpreter concerning artificial noise makers. I hope this helps.

What are the rules for the use of noise makers within the dugout. I have seen and heard drum sticks beating on fence, roof, cans, ball drums, etc. Also stones in a water bottle, hands beating on fence and ceiling. Please explain the TASO and UIL noise rules from the dugout.

Thanks for the question. I know of nothing in the rule book that addresses this issue specifically. TASO does not delve into this area. UIL does not restrict noise making by the teams. Most all teams competing in the state championship tournament utilize noise makers. All of that being said, districts can establish their own rules addressing noise making and the use of noise makers which officials should enforce when officiating those district games. Absent that, there is no specific rule that an umpire can fall back on. My experience is that most teams use chanting and/or rhythmic noise which we allow. However, you should not allow teams to make sudden noises that would distract or startle a batter or pitcher. (Example. There is no noise being made, but when the pitcher is about to pitch or when the batter is about to swing, a sudden loud noise is made.) Additionally, I would not allow excessively loud noise makers, i.e. bullhorns or air horns....in the dugouts or in the stands. In these instances you can use Rule 3-6-13 c. which addresses unsporting acts or Rule 10.2.3 g. which allows the plate umpire to make decisions on points not covered by the rules. I hope this is helpful.

Noise makers are 100% worse than walk up music for me. We were at a tournament last weekend where a team on a field next to ours was using cow bells. It was SO loud and obnoxious. I have one that we use at cross country meets but I would not in a million years dream of bringing it to softball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2019
Unless you are at the only field in the complex the answer is never. Your music is nothing more than a bush league annoyance to everyone else in the middle of an inning. Pretend it is not your first rodeo and teach your team a life lesson about courtesy for others and that the world does not revolve around them.
WOW!!! Somebody hit a sore spot. CCalm down lol. Yes I agree about the courtesy but a life lesson on the world revolving around them is a bit much. I don't see that at all. But to each in own.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
WOW!!! Somebody hit a sore spot. CCalm down lol. Yes I agree about the courtesy but a life lesson on the world revolving around them is a bit much. I don't see that at all. But to each in own.

Looking at the posts and reactions in this thread it would seem that most would agree that the behavior is at best self indulgent and considered by many to be annoying or even rude. Having attended games in every SEC venue and many other facilities over my 40 years in the game it always amazes me as what some consider to be appropriate behavior during a game. But as you said "to each their own".

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Anna played in her first ever college game at a D1 facility in SC this past Saturday, the speakers were positioned directly above the the stands right above the crowds head.......obnoxious!! One time the HC for the school where we were playing stood in the middle of the infield, waved his hands to get the attention of whoever was running the music, then waved his fingers by is throat several times as to say cut it off!

People were getting up and walking away in between innings and then coming back when play resumed JUST because of the music, it was ridiculous!!

So I vote never, again!

Apr 7, 2014
I’m going to go with never.

My opinion that doesn’t count is that it comes off as bush league cheesy (especially player name announcement) and seems to be a way for parents/coaches to further implement themselves into the girls game. Again my opinion but to each their own and I’ve never complained openly (except to my wife)

My opinion about consideration that should count is a few (or more) bad apples really spoil the bunch.
So many times over the years we have seen.
1) music played so loud during team warmups that it’s easily distracting to the games being played around them. This includes annoying spectators, players, coaches, and umpires.
2) music not being turned off and delaying games
3) inappropriate music
4) one teams music is played load so the other team turns theirs up to drown out team one. Then team three has to turn theirs up to drown out team two. And the cycle repeats.

It’s never ruined an experience at the ballpark for me but I’m glad it goes away for the most part above 14u.
Bottom line is there will always be people who show up and do not consider those around them. Giving them a giant boom box usually just amplifies the issue.
Apologies to those considerate folks who do use common sense and consideration when interjecting music for the girls. Others are giving you a bad rap.

Apr 30, 2018
Anna played in her first ever college game at a D1 facility in SC this past Saturday, the speakers were positioned directly above the the stands right above the crowds head.......obnoxious!! One time the HC for the school where we were playing stood in the middle of the infield, waved his hands to get the attention of whoever was running the music, then waved his fingers by is throat several times as to say cut it off!

People were getting up and walking away in between innings and then coming back when play resumed JUST because of the music, it was ridiculous!!

So I vote never, again!

Speaking of. After never seeing any real mention of the school. Asheville is now covered up with billboards for North Greenville. We are down that way quite a bit for pitching lessons and to watch hockey as is. Told DD we are going down in the spring to watch some Crusader softball.

And to stay on topic. Our rec league plays Disney music between innings so no outside music. Not overly loud. Could be much worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a quick vent from today's tournament.....
First I will say that music between innings does not bother me and depending on the genre a lot of it I like. Tonight was a first for us in total bush league antics. Opposing team was playing music (again not an issue) between innings, but would occasionally (once or twice an inning) would "accidentally" start a song then shut it right back off while our pitcher was starting her motion. Complaints were brushed off, by blue, as an accidental.
But, my biggest issue was the sound effects after strike outs (cash register ringing) or outs (OH Yeah) and various other sound effects. It really seemed low class, in my opinion.
Did not affect the game, just seemed trashy and low.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee