When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
For HS ball, the announcer (retired coach/teacher who actually was my 7th grade Science teacher) plays the same stuff for every game. Usually classic rock stuff like Boston or Motown. He always plays "Put me in, Coach" when the game is about to start, "Sweet Caroline" during the 5th inning stretch, and "Don't Stop Believing" as soon as the game ends. The girls HATE it. Every single girl on the team (bar one; see below) has some "rap mess" (as my Mom used to call it) as her walk-up song. There is one kind of quirky girl who uses "Your Love" by the Outfield.

Jul 9, 2019
I help coach a 12U team and this year we have a parent that did this last year with their previous team, that is now with us. I hate it, I don't even think the girls care about it at all.

I feel like it's Bush League, but we're not the only ones that do it, so I guess I'm just becoming an old fuddy duddy!!

Jan 31, 2015
NEVER!! No one wants to hear your crappy music nor your wife's nor your daughter's. That's why God created headphones. Feel free to play all the crappy music you want via headphones. Same goes for college camps. I can't stand sitting in the stands watching my daughter while garbage music is blaring in my face from the speakers, esp. when it includes n-bombs, s-bombs, and even some f-bombs. Major turn-off AFAIC. I can't imagine baseball coaches tolerating blaring garbage music during practices/camps; I don't know why softball coaches tolerate it. SMH

May 8, 2013
California
Bush league or not. Our team uses Ballpark Dj app and play walk up music with name announcement before each hitter. Not between innings though. We may be bush league, I really don't care. Our girls love it and pick their own walk up songs. Just like at the high school games
I would never and never have done it, but if the girls enjoy it, have at it my friend. The moron who said to pretend it is not your first rodeo can go *NAUGHTY WORD* himself. IT IS GIRLS SOFTBALL DUDE, stop acting like it is more important than that. it is a game, it is supposed to be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2016
I have to say I've seen it from 16 and up and as long as there aren't multiple games going on in close proximity everyone seems to enjoy it. Both teams having fun and even umps getting into it which made it fun for all. Even had one ump compliment our team and asked why more teams didn't do it as it livens up the game especially when you've been there 8 hours in 90 degree sun.

Most of the time it's clean versions of course but once in a while an inappropriate word is heard. Nothing worse that from coaches and parents mouths.

Mar 4, 2019
We play music at really two moments. Pregame and when it's our time to take the field. We play music for the pitcher to get her loose and the groove as well. We do not do walkup songs or anything like that. That is just a preference.

You do have to read the environment though. If you do not hear any boomboxes, just probably polite to sit the music out during games. Honestly its just background music. People losing their minds that it's out there just need to focus on the game. Who gives a crap.

However, if the other team brought a speaker and is blaring it, I'll shut mine down - battling music is the WORST. We keep the volume at a respectable level, pointed at our field/dugout.

Our playlist is a combination of a superstitious game start song and whatever the girls want to hear, cleaned up.

Jun 8, 2016
10 page thread on playing music for pre-teen and teen girls softball games.. :rolleyes:
Maybe I should start one on the proper fan attire for the games...that to me is more distracting and 99 out 100 times not in a good way :LOL:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23