When to Change Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
I am struggling with a decision to change bat size. Player most always in front, yes I know this is a timing issue but hands are so fast I am thinking it's time to go bigger on bat size. What do you guys think? When is the appropriate time to change bat size, is there a tale tale sign that you look for? She swings a 33/23, thinking of going to a 33/25 or possibly a 34/26. The latter adds 3ozs and an inch.....too much of a jump?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Personal preference is to go up length before going up ounces, inch of length is more then an ounce of weight.

3 ounces and and inch in length sounds like a huge jump to me.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD's D1 hitting coach in high school said that she thinks a batter should swing the heaviest bat that she can swing without dropping her hands. DD started swinging a 34/26 as a sophomore but she is a strong power hitter. But IMO a lot depends on the bat. A balanced bat will swing with a lighter feel than an end-loaded bat. Plus check the bat weight database - there is a lot a variation in the true weight of bats. If she can demo the bats that you are looking at that would tell a lot.

What age is your DD? Pitching speeds get faster as they get older so she is going those quick hands. Maybe work on her timing?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Just throwing some other options out there since it would be too hard to actually tell you what your DD should be swinging. Maybe just go up 1 ounce in bat weight with a end loaded bat or 1 inch and 1 ounce in an end loaded bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2