When to begin to be concerned about college showcases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’m on board with what you’re saying. Mine as soon as midnight was getting messages from Ivy League. Setting up calls and zoom calls for 9/3. Where we differ is the term serious interest, different schools may have different views of how they go about the process. Cornell for example said they wouldn’t seriously talk with two of our players until SR year, a player being recruited was a 4.6 GPA, 34 ACT and the other was a Top 100 player, 3.8 GPA 26 ACT. This team finished Top 10 PGF in 2019. Yale right out of shoot on 15 min call said almost the same thing as Cornell did, SR year (as soon as last pitch of HS clicks into SR year) summer all the way until NSD or after. But to get back to the original question, don’t wait but make sure your player is geared towards Ivy League requirements as soon as possible to shorten any delay.
That is seeing the IMPACT of GREAT Grades & test scores.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I’m on board with what you’re saying. Mine as soon as midnight was getting messages from Ivy League. Setting up calls and zoom calls for 9/3. Where we differ is the term serious interest, different schools may have different views of how they go about the process. Cornell for example said they wouldn’t seriously talk with two of our players until SR year, a player being recruited was a 4.6 GPA, 34 ACT and the other was a Top 100 player, 3.8 GPA 26 ACT. This team finished Top 10 PGF in 2019. Yale right out of shoot on 15 min call said almost the same thing as Cornell did, SR year (as soon as last pitch of HS clicks into SR year) summer all the way until NSD or after. But to get back to the original question, don’t wait but make sure your player is geared towards Ivy League requirements as soon as possible to shorten any delay.
So PapaBear, kinda curious, what is your DDs dreams and asperations after college?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is the only thing I’m not so sure about - reason being it is highly recommended that you have at least one semester of Algebra 2 before sitting for the SAT/ACT. Not sure if most juniors do or not. Most HS recommend SAT/ACT testing for the first time the spring of junior year - after they have taken the PSAT. Of course this is for non-athletic recruits.

I’d say if you are advanced in math and have time to prepare for the test beforehand, then taking it late sophomore year might be feasible - but it is not typical.

Regardless of whether you're an athlete, if you're looking for admission to a higher-level academic institution, you should be taking Algebra II in your sophomore year. Spring of soph year is a great time to take that first swing at the ACT/SAT. You may not see the best score, but you'll gain experience. DD took the ACT five times and the SAT once. Her scores improved in 3 of the 4 ACT testing categories through each of the first four attempts, and boosted two scores on the fifth. Her school accepted her highest individual test scores for her application & merit scholarship. Make sure you order the test w/answers when signing up! They are a great prep resource as you go along.

Mar 22, 2010
I had a different philosophy. I didn't want my daughters to suffer the stress of taking the tests multiple times. I got them both tutors, told them both that the goal is to take the test one time so put in your very best effort. Had them take it the August before Junior year during a time when there are no distractions (school in particular). One got a 32, the other 1530. They were happy not to take it again.

May 27, 2013
Unfortunately for my dd, she took her first ACT fall of junior year and then was able to finally get a testing site in fall of senior year. Her ACT went up 3 points which was exactly what she was aiming for. Then she wound up not submitting them per the coach’s recommendation as her school (NESCAC conference) went test optional.

Oct 23, 2014
Many parents have the misconception that a college coach can spot a talented player during a showcase. The coach will then start communicating based on the performance at the showcase. It does not work that way. Coaches are looking at specific players based on prior communication from a variety of sources. Going to showcases with the hope your daughter will be given a scholarship based on her play that day is unrealistic.
My DD had a few instances where this happened at a Triple Crown showcases, which was absolutely amazing and flattering, but this happened around when she was a junior in HS and it was from JC's, D2's, and D3's. I would agree, though, that unless your daughter contacted the coaches prior to the showcase, and included the game schedule with the field number and times, there isn't a huge chance that your daughter will just be noticed. At some games, we would see coaches all ganged up chatting about a single player on the field, and not watching any other players on the field because they were so focused on this one amazing talent, they would just follow this one player from field to field :) . It takes some time and research prior to the showcase to determine which coaches to contact, based on their degree and softball programs. I used this website all the time to try and determine a rough estimate of the typical athletic scholarship amounts for colleges attending the showcase: https://scholarshipstats.com/softball We literally kept a spreadsheet!

Jun 27, 2021
PBear,
If I misunderstood you, I apologize. Just wanted to make sure players did not make seem error our family did based on information we gathered. The high academic schools are a tough nut to crack and it helps to work every advantage your player/student has in her favor.
No harm, mine isn’t going Ivy but chose to play in-state D1. She was intrigued for sure but after talking with schools she narrowed her list down to 5 with no Ivy Schools on it. Covid plus being a 2022 who had to stop recruiting after a lot of interest early where had equity was her reasons but was thrilled they noticed her in CO and CA and called to talk, it was just to far along in her process for her.

Mar 10, 2020
Granddaughter is just a freshman and we're wondering if she shouldn't be too concerned just yet since they can't be contacted by coaches until end of Junior year. She does have a Sports Recruits profile set up however; not sure it's needed yet but coach insists the team have this done. Is freshman year too soon?
Preparation starts in 14U.
By 2nd year 14u learning the ropes and what you're going to need to do. A coach who has been through the travel ball system before can be a useful advantage. Educating the parents and player creating a plan is by far most important thing before jumping into 16u and not having a clue what it's going to take to get recruited.
Serious planning both financially academically and researching colleges setting up emails xcetera. Worst thing that can happen is parents and player have no clue about the cost of college and how to go about being accepted by one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598