WHEN THE OTHER PITCHER DOMINATES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2020
lean into every pitch until she hits 3 or 4 batters so she has to get pulled. lol but seriously, bunting should be easier than hitting and if that dont work, everyone slaps now! bunts and fake bunts, leaning into pitches, or just take every pitch until she walks someone or crouch as much as possible like shoulders touching knees when batting so there is no strike zone. lol

Aug 21, 2020
Using the fake bunt pull back and hit helps with timing, if used correctly. It gives the swing more of a process and requires a quick swing which is what you need to catch up to a quick pitcher. Players should be squaring to bunt right before pitchers starts windup, and pulling back when she is in windup and then swinging.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Using the fake bunt pull back and hit helps with timing, if used correctly. It gives the swing more of a process and requires a quick swing which is what you need to catch up to a quick pitcher. Players should be squaring to bunt right before pitchers starts windup, and pulling back when she is in windup and then swinging.
👍Can add deception.
Fake bunt, slap, bunt, swing...
bunt.
Works the defensive mental game and reaction impulse.

WOOHOO Strategy !

May 17, 2012
👍Can add deception.
Fake bunt, slap, bunt, swing...
bunt.
Works the defensive mental game and reaction impulse.

WOOHOO Strategy !

So just throw out your high level swing that you spend thousands of hours practicing in the off season? This is your path to victory?

Not only is this not the approach that the best hitters in the world utilize I haven't seen a whole team actually do this in a game.

"Hey ladies we made it to the championship game and the pitcher we are facing is next level. I need you to not use your high level swings that got us here and just bunt/slap/run into the pitch/fake bunt/bat left handed. This is our path to victory."

Said no coach ever....

Sep 28, 2018
I totally disagree with the suggestions of getting the umpire involved by arguing illegal pitches, crow hops, etc... unless the pitcher is ACTUALLY doing any of those things. If your batters are getting their butts kicked by a pitcher and you want to mess with a kids mind by arguing bogus calls with the blue then you shouldn't be coaching in my opinion. I have had this happen to my daughter way too many times just because she is pitching a good game.

Sometimes you tip your hat to the pitcher and move on. Those dominate days happen at all levels of softball.

What we try to do in BP is hitting balls off the plate and making solid contact. I will throw her balls that are off the plate and she will work on putting them in play. Typically a dominate pitcher is fooling the batter into swinging at balls so the batter needs to work on hitting those pitches too. It isn't always a line drive double to the gap, but it can be effective if the batter gets fooled.

Jul 29, 2020
Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hRL9X213l_I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So just throw out your high level swing that you spend thousands of hours practicing in the off season? This is your path to victory?

Not only is this not the approach that the best hitters in the world utilize I haven't seen a whole team actually do this in a game.

"Hey ladies we made it to the championship game and the pitcher we are facing is next level. I need you to not use your high level swings that got us here and just bunt/slap/run into the pitch/fake bunt/bat left handed. This is our path to victory."

Said no coach ever....
Hey GunnerShotgun
Never Said throw out high level swing!
Saying incorporate the ability and skillsets to add more weapons to the arsonal at bat!

Having played with and against the best players in the nation at the top levels including the College World Series, small ball is utilized because there are speedy talented athletes able to do more than just swing the bat.
I am one of them. Hall of Fame All American College World Series First Team.

More than at the top levels
Small ball helps all teams compete. Very useful against a dominating pitcher.

Again
it's great to have different strategies on the field it creates a diversity of competition.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018
Spot on RADCatcher. My DD is a very good hitter from the right side, but she likes to be versatile (and try new things). So during the Covid break she learned to slap. We had a scrimmage last week and it was the first time she got to put her new skills to the test. She needed to sacrifice to move a runner over. Coach called a drag bunt and she put it down perfectly. The awesome thing about it was that her sacrifice turned into a base hit from the left side. She would have been out if doing the same thing right handed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812