When should a TB player stop playing LL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
It’s a very personal decision. When my DD played LL, it was a very exciting time as her all-star team made it to States - first time ever in our LL. She stuck with it through her 12 y/o year, guest-played with a travel team during that year, and made the move to travel at 13. She adjusted very well to travel ball and we never looked back. However if you ask her, she really misses that one magical summer with a special team that brought our League and community together. Having done both LL and travel, it’s just a much different experience with each, both good and bad.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
There is a reason they call it a "recreational" league. It is meant for the more casual, less serious player. If the player moves up to playing travel ball (often year-round), there is no reason I can think of to go back to rec league other than to trophy hunt and please their parent coaches.

I remember one rec league season where several dad's decided to create a super all-star team from travel ball players from different cities and had them all play in Spring for one league making them eligible for all-stars that summer. The team ended up going undefeated in ASA Districts, State, and Western Nationals. Yes, they won a 1st place trophy but they were playing against mostly rec league players and the real shame was the kids who thought they would make the all-star team that summer, having been in the program since they were 5YO, didn't make the team. There were some VERY unhappy parents and players that season. Sometimes just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should...

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is a reason they call it a "recreational" league. It is meant for the more casual, less serious player. If the player moves up to playing travel ball (often year-round), there is no reason I can think of to go back to rec league other than to trophy hunt and please their parent coaches.

I remember one rec league season where several dad's decided to create a super all-star team from travel ball players from different cities and had them all play in Spring for one league making them eligible for all-stars that summer. The team ended up going undefeated in ASA Districts, State, and Western Nationals. Yes, they won a 1st place trophy but they were playing against mostly rec league players and the real shame was the kids who thought they would make the all-star team that summer, having been in the program since they were 5YO, didn't make the team. There were some VERY unhappy parents and players that season. Sometimes just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should...

There is so much wrong with this. :mad:

Please tell me this wasn't 10U (not that it would be any better at any other age).

Oct 21, 2016
DD played just LL at 11, both TB and LL at 12, and this year at 13 just TB. We found doing both at the same time was just too hard, and not fair to her LL teammates who could only count on her to be there half the time. Plus the last year of LL was difficult for DD due to gap in talent. I swear I saw steam come out of her ears a few times when she made good throws on runners stealing but her teammates couldn't catch the ball.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
My DD went to travel at 8u and really never looked back. She got asked to come back and play for her little league team whenever she could and would pitch, and could bat top of the lineup. We wouldn't even have to pay. We said no thanks, as my DD wasnt interested in doing it and felt it was beneath her. I could see a travel pitcher that was maybe the 3rd or 4th pitcher on het TB team wanting to get some innings in.

May 27, 2013

Just confused as to how they could do this if the players were from different cities. Little League has very strict boundaries that players have to live within.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Just confused as to how they could do this if the players were from different cities. Little League has very strict boundaries that players have to live within.

It was ASA not LL.

I think the quality of TB and LL/rec in the area as well as the level of the player and number of friends on the LL team can all influence ones decision.

That said one you're gone to a travel team, assuming you aren't a bench warmer, the LL/rec days should pretty much be behind you.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Little League is about community. It's about playing with friends and neighbors. That's the benefit.

My youngest, turned 12 in November, is still playing LL. They just started practice a week or so ago. She's been really excited to play with her friends, including a few other travel ball players that she used to play with, but are now with different clubs.

For my oldest, who turned 14 in December, this will be her first year not playing and it makes me really sad. I saw what would have been her team at practice and she's played with those girls since she was 9. I'm very fond of all of them and am going to miss not being around them one last time; the coaches too. I suspect DD will regret not playing this year.

But, fun isn't everything, right? You don't end up playing D1 ball focusing on fun. Maryland Eastern Shore, here we come!

There are other local LLs that don't see things the same way, I know. There are competing LLs who try to run there leagues like travel clubs, stack teams with all their All Stars, etc. One of the reasons we left our former travel club was because a coach was brought in from a competing LL who was going to try make a team with all players from his LL. I've known LL coaches that violated minimum playing time rules and recruited players from out of their boundary area in order to be more competitive. One such team up the road from us is famous for throwing a game in the LL world series so they could play an easier opponent the next game. I think coaches and organizations who do things like this miss the point of LL and hurt the game. They drive away other players who might otherwise have fun and develop a love of the game.

Sep 26, 2011
I’ve been a part of our local LL for the last 8 years. My youngest is 13 and is in her first year in TB. When we had a discussion about NOT playing LL because of the conflicts she was in tears. She wanted to keep playing with friends. Last year LL was fun and our All Star team won Districts and made it to the division finals. Last season about 4/5 girls played both. This year there is a total of 12 girls playing both.

If you can make it work go for it. Especially in April/May. Many 14u teams shut down until HS is over so why not let those 13s play LL with their friends.

Oh and over the years we’ve had at least 3/4 girls leave LL for the different TB organizations and come back the next year because they missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802