When should a TB player stop playing LL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pretty much exactly what I would expect. That’s a shame. I really enjoy fall travel ball, would hate to give that up. And would hate to give up tb practices.

Against the rules but we had players playing both at same time, no one seemed to care.

Practice and games were right after school and over before 5 or so. Very seldom did they have a weekend game.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Pretty much exactly what I would expect. That’s a shame. I really enjoy fall travel ball, would hate to give that up. And would hate to give up tb practices.

That is why my daughter and I are a little conflicted on play MS ball. Her coach would be ok but her team is a huge downgrade from her TB team. She wants to show off a little and that is really the only reason she would play because she really isn't friends with any of the other players. She also is interested in maybe trying another sport, which I encourage, and this would be a good time to do it. It will ultimately be her decision though and I will support it either way.

Sep 9, 2015
My DD stopped playing rec league ball after 12U because she WAS picking up some bad habits. But she came back and played during first year 16U because the travel ball team shut down for the HS season and she was still in Jr High with no team. Here are the good things about that: 1. She had fun! No pressure, just playing ball with her buddies, no coaches yelling. 2. Coach let her play alternate positions. Her TB position is catcher but she played more than half the time at OF, 3B, and MI - which is coming in handy now that she needs to play more of those position on TB and HS. 3. Got to work on her team leadership skills. Since she had a lot more experience, she took a more vocal role on the field - calling plays and what not. 4. They got to play in and win the city championship - got to experience all the attention, photo ops, and hoopla that went on with that - felt like being in a college game under the lights. Lot's of good memories and it is a good thing to support the community programs.

However, I would say that an ace TB pitcher shouldn't be pitching in rec league - that is no fun for either team.

May 15, 2016
What time of year does middle school softball happen? We don’t have it where we live. I think I’m pretty thankful for that btw.

Tryouts are on April 9, the season runs until June 8.

Both of my DDs and I have mixed feelings about it. More than half of MS ball is against teams that are not much better than LL, but there are a few schools they will be playing that are stacked with TB players. One school's team is made up of a third of their TB teammates. My DDs are looking forward to that game the most, having the chance to play against their teammates when it is just for fun really appeals to them.

My girls also like the idea of playing for their school, as many of their friends are on the soccer team, and they hear about it all fall during soccer season. Spring is time for my DDs to do some bragging in school.

My twins are the #1 pitcher and catcher on their TB team. MS will give them a chance to get more reps together as a battery. That is assuming the MS HC is not stupid enough to put them at SS and 3B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812