When should a TB player stop playing LL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
You need to tell your DD that is the absolute worst way to approach MS ball. What she needs to do is go in there with the attitude she is going to outperform the other pitchers and make the #1 slot her's. If the coach is into politics, cliques or seniority then it's time to move on. What she'll have to remember though. If she walks away, next year will likely be a repeat.

I don't think it is the worst attitude because she is going to outperform any other pitcher on the team. I am comfortable in saying that I am not just a bragging father with an inflated sense of my daughter's ability. Though she only started pitching in July she has arguable become the #1 pitcher on her travel team. There is no other TB pitcher on her MS team. The only other girl who did any pitching for the MS last year, who will be on the team this year, was a slow rainbow pitcher. While this other girl might have gotten better since then, she is not playing for a travel team, and so is unlikely to have the experience of my DD.

I have no idea what motivates their MS coach. Last year my other DD, they are twins, who is the #1 catcher on her TB team was put at SS at the beginning of every game, and was only moved behind the plate in the last two innings. It could have been that the other catcher was an 8th grader and my DD catcher was a 7th grader, but the 8th grader had no TB experience. My DD likes to point out that after she started behind the plate in the second to last game of the season, when the 8th grader missed the game, their team won decisively. DD started the behind the plate in the last game. The 8th grade catcher spent half that game in center field and half on the bench.

Hopefully the MS coach will not play similar games this year, especially considering this is my girls' last year in MS ball.

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
In my opinion if your daughter is the #1 on a TB team, and she isn't getting enough pitching between tourneys, scrimmages, and lessons, (not to mention the all important home workouts with dad) she is probably on the wrong travel team.

Keep in mind I am not referring to my DD if you had that impression. I was part of a discussion where a mother mentioned this. I think the girl is getting enough, she regularly starts the first or second game of every tournament and scrimmage, gets weekly lessons and is often a guest player. The only thing I will say is her father works crazy hours and does not have the opportunity for home workouts that often.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Keep in mind I am not referring to my DD if you had that impression. I was part of a discussion where a mother mentioned this. I think the girl is getting enough, she regularly starts the first or second game of every tournament and scrimmage, gets weekly lessons and is often a guest player. The only thing I will say is her father works crazy hours and does not have the opportunity for home workouts that often.

Nope, I saw you said it was another person you knew. I'm not judging anyway, just my opinion.

Apr 28, 2014
For some it depends on the position. I let DD play rec 18U league last year as a 13 YO pitcher. It offered her a great opportunity to try and perfect new pitches without the fear of getting hit hard in travel. One year was enough and now with HS ball that ship has sailed but if I had to do it over again she would play again.

Dec 11, 2010
What time of year does middle school softball happen? We don’t have it where we live. I think I’m pretty thankful for that btw.

Jun 12, 2015
What time of year does middle school softball happen? We don’t have it where we live. I think I’m pretty thankful for that btw.

Middle school ball ruins early fall for travel here. I hear they're talking about moving it to spring which I think will be worse. The past 2 years I've watched our players go backwards thanks to school ball. Spotty coaching and competition, low quality reps. Then the TB coaches have to fix it all when it's finally over.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For whatever reason our MS was in fall, season started before classes started.

HS is in the spring, or winter this year.

(DD had a great time in MS softball, certainly some that did not. She liked her coaches and for the most part the players she played with. We actually had a JV and Varsity team in MS. Tryouts with cuts too)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Middle school ball ruins early fall for travel here. I hear they're talking about moving it to spring which I think will be worse. The past 2 years I've watched our players go backwards thanks to school ball. Spotty coaching and competition, low quality reps. Then the TB coaches have to fix it all when it's finally over.

Pretty much exactly what I would expect. That’s a shame. I really enjoy fall travel ball, would hate to give that up. And would hate to give up tb practices.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse