When should a relief pitcher warm up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2021
A question for a coach..
14U Bracket Game 70 minute time limit.
Dad here. I have a 12 year old almost 13 softball pitcher that was told (by her coach) she was an "Irresponsible Pitcher" for not warming up during the game. She warmed up prior to the game but was never told when she would go in. All four pitchers warmed up. She was the only one that did not go in to fill in another position. The starting pitcher got out of the first inning no problem, second inning got bases loaded with no outs and got out of it with no runs, let 1 run score in the third inning, then in the fourth and final inning really struggled and let 4 runs score and was having problems getting outs. The coach turned to her about 3 runs into the fourth inning and asked had she warmed up during the game. My daughter told her "No, you haven't told me to warm up." She replied that she was being an "Irresponsible Pitcher" and that she should be ready to go in at anytime. She should have gotten warmed up during the game. Is it the players responsibility to determine when she might need to get warmed up or is it the coaches job to tell the pitchers when to warm up and when to be ready to go in?

Jun 4, 2019
If she warmed up before the game, can’t she go in, throw 8 warms up pitches and then play? I’ve only every sent girls out to the pen in high school games if It got deep into the game and we needed them and I knew they didn’t warm up much. But a 70 min game in travel, I bring in any of my 3 pitchers whenever needed.

Oct 24, 2021
I agree. I thought she was good to go in. I think it was more of, my pitcher that I have coached a long time was struggling and I want to blame someone else that is new to the team. I wanted to leave as much of my opinion out of it as I could in the original post, so I could get more of an outside view. Thanks for the replies.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have all pitchers warm-up before a game in case I need them. I also have them them throw some pitches to warm up behind the dugout once I determine what inning and who I need to replace the current one depending upon the team we are facing. There have been a few times I've had to put in a pitcher somewhat 'cold," but not often. I usually have a sense of who and when I'll need to replace my starter and the best choice for a replacement. Sounds to me like he was looking for someone to blame.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Coach is being a bit ridiculous. If that’s what she wanted then should have established this before the season or game.

Now, playing devils advocate….. if your DD is not comfortable going in before getting another chance to warm up again then she needs to find time.

DD’s HC ran only 9 girls this Fall as he’s being very picky to find spots 10 and 11 for next year. So he didn’t really have an option to sub someone for DD (or other pitchers) to “warm up” whether he knew they would go in or not. So she would grab a teammate and just go through her warm ups after a couple innings to stay “fresh”. Not always easy but can be done.

Oct 24, 2021
Coach is being a bit ridiculous. If that’s what she wanted then should have established this before the season or game.

Now, playing devils advocate….. if your DD is not comfortable going in before getting another chance to warm up again then she needs to find time.

DD’s HC ran only 9 girls this Fall as he’s being very picky to find spots 10 and 11 for next year. So he didn’t really have an option to sub someone for DD (or other pitchers) to “warm up” whether he knew they would go in or not. So she would grab a teammate and just go through her warm ups after a couple innings to stay “fresh”. Not always easy but can be done.
DD never said she was ready or not. She was just asked if she warmed up during the game. Then got chewed out during the game and after in the post game huddle in front of all the other girls. She has went in plenty of times in the third or fourth inning after warming up pre game. My DD just felt like after the game she was singled out for something she didn't do. She just couldn't understand what she did wrong in a game she didn't even play in.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD never said she was ready or not. She was just asked if she warmed up during the game. Then got chewed out during the game and after in the post game huddle in front of all the other girls. She has went in plenty of times in the third or fourth inning after warming up pre game. My DD just felt like after the game she was singled out for something she didn't do. She just couldn't understand what she did wrong in a game she didn't even play in.

Sorry, I mis interpreted your post then on that fact. Either way….I agree the coach singled her out which wasn’t right.

Jul 19, 2021
A question for a coach..
14U Bracket Game 70 minute time limit.
Dad here. I have a 12 year old almost 13 softball pitcher that was told (by her coach) she was an "Irresponsible Pitcher" for not warming up during the game. She warmed up prior to the game but was never told when she would go in. All four pitchers warmed up. She was the only one that did not go in to fill in another position. The starting pitcher got out of the first inning no problem, second inning got bases loaded with no outs and got out of it with no runs, let 1 run score in the third inning, then in the fourth and final inning really struggled and let 4 runs score and was having problems getting outs. The coach turned to her about 3 runs into the fourth inning and asked had she warmed up during the game. My daughter told her "No, you haven't told me to warm up." She replied that she was being an "Irresponsible Pitcher" and that she should be ready to go in at anytime. She should have gotten warmed up during the game. Is it the players responsibility to determine when she might need to get warmed up or is it the coaches job to tell the pitchers when to warm up and when to be ready to go in?
That coach is not the brightest. According to that policy, her pitchers will average throwing about 1,000 pitches a day by warming up and then staying warm during every game they play. Note to all coaches -- warm-up pitches count. Don't warm up every pitcher you have before every game. That's too many pitches during a day. Have a plan. Stick to it. Those are fake diamonds in the rings they give you for winning but real tendons in your pitcher's arms and legs. :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Rolling Hard posted in the 1st response what I was thinking after reading OP. but I want to post it too.

Your coach is an idiot.

Liked the rest of thier post too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802