When quitting is always an option

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Regarding those that quitting the team is always an option,
any time of season.
Even leaving a team right after qualifying for pgf...
Ya know, Team jumpers
brought up in travel ball always the option to quit.

Are they in softball 100%?
Does this degrade the system of building teams?

Whats the take here on dfp?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Notorious team jumper(don't know if she has been on the same team more than one year), committed to a D1 team in the NE during 8th grade. Always picking up with various teams. Coach gets let go this summer. Mom posts on social media about fall ball. Former coach replies to post. Mom says something like this. Hey coach let us know where you end up, we would be interested. Still looking to continue to team hop even in college!!!

Jun 20, 2015
the grass is always greener concept. There are many , many versions. Some legit, some that will make most people view and go "Really??"

example, girl joins a new team in August because old team dispersed after coach quit. Well, this fall the new coach is not remotely living up to promises made to this player in August? Stay or go now???

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
One good thing (there aren’t many ) about club soccer is that if you “sign” with a team you are bound to them for the whole season. ID cards are checked at the start of each game. If you want to quit a team you can but unless you are released by the club you can’t join another until the season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
^^^^^BINGO ^^^^^
Team jumping happens generally for two reasons. The parents did not take enough time or ask enough questions before signing up. OR they asked enough questions and the coach lied. So parents ask questions and coach don't lie. Problem solved.
There are other options:
  • The player stopped working after making the team and has been passed by due to others getting better.
  • The rose-colored glasses got removed when true ability didn't measure up to level of competiton.
  • The coach of the TB coach's philosophies clash with the private instructor's philosophies.
  • Due to certain restrictions like our current conditions, the TB team did not get the player in front of the coaches who were interested in this particular player.
  • I could go on and on.
Total disclosure, my dd played for 3 organizations. I would not call her/us team jumpers but I guess it is relative.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
^^^^^BINGO ^^^^^
Team jumping happens generally for two reasons. The parents did not take enough time or ask enough questions before signing up. OR they asked enough questions and the coach lied. So parents ask questions and coach don't lie. Problem solved.

We've seen this one on my DD's team a few times...

Coach tells parents and player exactly how he intends to use player, and how much playing time she can expect to get. Player joins team. Coach delivers what he promised. Parents pull their kid because they are unhappy with playing time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There are other options:

• The rose-colored glasses got removed when true ability didn't measure up to level of competiton.
  • The coach of the TB coach's philosophies clash with the private instructor's philosophies.
  • Due to certain restrictions like our current conditions, the TB team did not get the player in front of the oaches who were interested in this particular player.
  • I could go on and on.
Total disclosure, my dd played for 3 organizations. I would not call her/us team jumpers but I guess it is relative.
Generally, I said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee