When parents won't be quiet....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Today, our HS team travelled 2 1/2 hrs away for their ballgames (A and B). I have decided this year that I am going to keep a score book just for my peace of mind. I want to be able to look back and see what DD needs to work on, how she batted, etc.. There was a "newbie" parent sitting in the bleachers behind us (friend and I sit always behind home plate). She has one child and this is her first year to play on the HS team. She kept calling my friend's name, so she'd turn around and then the lady would engage in conversation. Mind you, the conversation had absolutely NOTHING to do with softball - I'm talking stuff like her car, their vacation, blah, blah, blah. I said, quietly at first, "please be quiet". Nothing. Said it again, a little louder. Still nothing. Finally I'd had my fill, turned around and blurted out, "Would ya just shut your pie hole so I can concentrate on the game?" My friend turned around immediately, ducking in her chair (guess she thought I was going to stab her with my pencil or something), a guy with no dog in the hunt in the stands snickered and said, "Thank you" and the girl next to me said, "It's about time".

Now we have a tournament this weekend. I plan on approaching this parent and asking her nicely to please refrain from conversing so loudly that blue can hear the conversation behind the plate so I can focus on keeping the book. Mind you, nobody keeps a book for the B team, which is the team her child was playing on during the majority of this conversation. I kept up with their stuff, too, in case the "newbie" parents of the pitcher wanted to keep up with what their DD is doing on the mound.

Is it too much to ask someone who has a child playing to keep it down? I felt a smidgen of guilt (like I was at a tennis or golf match), but slam the door, Sally - even if I wasn't keeping the book, I wanted to focus on the game and be able to cheer for the girls!

Sorry for the rant. It was just a little more than irritating...WHEW - I feel better now! :)

Oct 25, 2009
Just curious, why didn't you just ask your mutual friend to speak with her and let her know how you think she should act? I'm sure she was more than a little embarrassed; especially if she was a newbie.

One of the great things about baseball/softball is there are ample breaks in the game that give people time to communicate with each other. Not quite the same as being at a movie, for example.

Last edited:
Guess I should have given background of "newbie" parent in first post....although they are new to the HS team, they are not new to the realm of softball. Been around her for summer after summer after summer. Since DD is a few years older, never had her DD on the same team (well once when they combined, but wound up splitting "young and old", so she went the other direction). Was even in a ballpark once when her mother (the "newbie parent's") got tossed out of the park FOR GOOD...

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Wow! That's a harsh response. It's an outdoor sporting event not a movie. I've been involved in softball for 10 years now and never knew that you can't have a conversation as a spectator unless it's about softball. Maybe next game you could just move your chair to where you can be all by yourself and not bothered by other people conversations.

Jun 21, 2010
Why do they need to be quiet?

I have been to plenty of games where there are several parents (usually, but not always, Moms) who are not big softball fans but do enjoy going to the games and supporting their kids. There is a lot of travel involved and parents make a lot of sacrifices for their kids to participate. This is a social event for them so inevitably they end up talking about things other than softball.

I am a big fan so I focus on the game but if others do not why should I care?

Jul 26, 2010
In my experience the scorekeepers will bring a chair and sit next to the dugout, not in the stands with the spectators. This allows the coach better access and gives then an extra set of eyes into the "batting out of order" issues. Sounds like the problem is the scorekeeper not the people enjoying the game.

-W

Should have kept my opinion to myself - never should have posted. Do, however, appreciate the blasts! :)

It's not an issue of being quiet (like in a theater)....probably one of those things where you just should have been there. Was by the dugout...tiny field. Was in my own chair...other person in stands. Y'all have a great weekend.

Jul 9, 2010
I usually am anti-social at my DD's HS school games. I rarely sit in the stands - I usually stand by a fence on the side, or away from the stands a little.

My biggest problem at HS school games is parents (almost always dads) that do one or more of the following:
- tell me how great their kid is
- complain about how bad someone else's kid is
- complain about the coaches
- try to impress with me their softball knowledge by narrating every single stupid thing that happens
- try to impress me with their knowledge of pitching by pointing out flaws in pitching mechanices (they are almost always wrong, BTW).

I just don't get into what goes on in the stands. I appreciate what happens on the field, and have great respect for the players, regardless of their skill level. I prefer to focus on that.

Also - it helps me not to lose my cool with someone who needs to shut their pie hole. :cool:

Also - it helps me not to lose my cool with someone who needs to shut their pie hole. :cool:

WOOP WOOP!!! At home games, I sit under what we call the "half dead tree with limbs just waiting to kill us" with my bestie and our families FAR, FAR away from everyone else. Guess some folks have taken notice because at last week's home game, there were several tents set up in different areas.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Listen...parents being loud does not bother me as long as:
1) they are loud rooting for the team in a sportsmanlike manner
2) they don't yell at the umpire..believe me parents who yell at the umpire don't just yell...the go crazy
3) they don't scream at their DD in a discouraging manner.
4) they don't yell at the other team
I love parent support but I will take care of the umpires and the other coaches and their team if there is a problem!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee