when is it too late?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2009
Hi all. My 12yo daughter is active in many things including softball. She has done super as a pitcher and practices much. We have not spent much time on her hitting, and I know it is a source of frustration for her. My question is, if she wants to continue in the sport, when is it too late to focus on her hitting, and is the best choice a hitting coach? We don't have a lot of free time, but I don't want to teach her any bad habits.

May 12, 2008
Her senior year in college would be too late. You can work with a hitting coach locally but how do you know who to trust. Where are you? The ratio is not good IME. You are NOT in a rush. You could start studying the swing yourself planning to leave her alone for six months while you study. Start here. Analysis

Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

May 13, 2008
It depends on what your goals are; the earlier you train in a sport the better. There is no substitute for experience. Having said that some kids don't pick up the sport until late and excel. A qualified hitting coach will definitely help. Find a few successful high school programs in your area and ask the coach who he/she recommends.

As far as hitting systems go I recommend the latest material from Candrea & company at RightViewPro. Specifically the Ip300-SB2 material.

May 5, 2009
Thanks

Thanks all. I picked up a video today as a starting point. This was a curious subject. So many times for various things (although mostly for her pitching starting when she was 10) I heard "well, if you don't start now, you may as well forget it." Just wanted to make sure I'm not leaving her in the dust...

May 5, 2009
which video

USA softball Instructional series Featuring Mike Candrea. Fundamentals of Hitting Vol. 1.

May 12, 2008
BZZZZ!!!! His latest stuff done in conjunction with Right View is pretty good and very different from his older stuff. If you had said Englishbey, Yeager or Right View you wouldn't have gotten the annoying buzzer-Englishbey being my first choice. Epstein would have been a smaller buzzer but Candrea's old stuff gets a big buzzer. If you want to go with Candrea DEFINITELY get the stuff he did with Right View. I would toss the old Candrea stuff before young children and the innocent see it. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Softball entered a renaissance in the mid-1990s. A lot of instructional videos were hurriedly produced at that time with little real science behind the theories. There are many instructional videos from that time period by reputable softball instructors that are one step-up above snake oil.

Since then, softball mechanics have been studied more extensively. Old theories have been refined or even discarded. So, you would be much better off getting the newer materials.

Ray

Attachments

• Brianna Highland game 09 #2.jpg
    Brianna Highland game 09 #2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802