when is it too late?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Yes.

When Candrea hooked up with Don Slaught of Right View, Don apparently changed Mike's mind about some things. Mike now says the fp swing is essentially the MLB swing. There are things I disagree with Don on but his materials beat most. Drills suck but the exposition is good and the comparison software is a great idea.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
If she plans to take the sport in college the soonest time would be best if at her age she has the desire to improve on her hitting I don't think it's too late for her. A good coach will be helpful and looking at the latest swings will help. You'll be surprised that there are good basic videos that can be seen online, you just know where to look.

This may be a helpful tip to start with the basics of hitting
Hitting - What Makes Manny Ramirez Such a Good Hitter? | Softball Performance Blog

Here are helpful drills as well
Hitting

May 12, 2008
I haven't seen the most recent USA instructional material. Isn't it the same as what he's saying on Right View Pro?

Perhaps. I'm unaware of anything thing done since the Right View stuff. Of course my preference would be englishbeyhitting

May 12, 2008
Here are helpful drills as well
Hitting

Drills are like medicine. They should be prescribed for a particular person and even then they can be misused. The student needs to understand the goal and intent of the drill. The right drill well done can be like the right medicine properly taken.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mark H I have the most recent RVP both Instructional and Analysis. There will be an update coming. I agree on the drills. I use very few from RVP. The Instructional is good for coaches to learn, but I think it doesn't do a good job on fixing flaws. Analysis shows the flaws and the kid /coach can see what they did. I know of two things that Don will probably change. We now have changed our grip and we now use the wall /Bucket drill, which we step into. cshilt and I have learned most of our drills from Bustos and the person she works with on hitting. He is friends with Don and we pick up new ideas they are testing . Sue and Don tested both of the above ideas in a lab to measure the impact of the changes in Bat Speed. For example we had the whiphit, before it was ever sold on the market. I have one of the first ones made.

May 12, 2008
So is the USA instructional material old or with the same understanding Mike describes in the Right View materials in terms of swing mechanics?

Aug 21, 2008
Mark H I have the most recent RVP both Instructional and Analysis. There will be an update coming. I agree on the drills. I use very few from RVP. The Instructional is good for coaches to learn, but I think it doesn't do a good job on fixing flaws. Analysis shows the flaws and the kid /coach can see what they did. I know of two things that Don will probably change. We now have changed our grip and we now use the wall /Bucket drill, which we step into. cshilt and I have learned most of our drills from Bustos and the person she works with on hitting. He is friends with Don and we pick up new ideas they are testing . Sue and Don tested both of the above ideas in a lab to measure the impact of the changes in Bat Speed. For example we had the whiphit, before it was ever sold on the market. I have one of the first ones made.

Could you please elaborate on your reference to the "wall/Bucket" drill and the "change in grip" and identify any other specific drills that you utilize the most. I would appreciate a MOST USED drill list as there are so many drills to chose from. A MOST USED drill list would assist in planning the hitting portion of practice to incorporate those drills that are the most beneficial to all players and, in your opinion, are the overall most productive hitting drills. Thanks for all your posts.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
cshilt posted two drills that we use. Mark H my RVP 6 months ago. I have been told no changes, but some are coming. If I hear I will let you know. I have about 20 some drills, each, as many have posted, work on a part of the swing. I will work on the first two ? and go from there. We start most students out with hitting tennis balls with a PVC pipe that we have built for hitting. Front Hand, Back Hand, Two hands.

May 12, 2008
No, I don't mean has RV changed. I mean are the USA materials before Don changed Mike's way of thinking or after?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802